× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 102: Can't install any application

Micsans
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 102: Can't install any application

Hello all

I'm using a ReadyNAS 102 successfully for a while: 7 years.

After a power shutdown, It became unreachable from network.

I needed to reset it to factory default settings, including all the data because an OS reset didn't solve the problem.

The network interface became visible after the factory reset.

Then I upgraded it to the last available firmware version 6.10.8

Since that, its impossible to install any application.

Message: "Cannot install application xxxx" whatever "xxxx" is.

I installed a newer firmware 6.10.9, provided by NetGear suport team themselves.

No change.

Then I reset it once again to factory settings: it get the last firmware after, that means, no change:

Impossible to install any application.

The NetGear support team doesn't what to continue solving this issue due to the age of my device.

Is there anybody able to help me ?

Thank you for your help.

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS 102: Can't install any application

@Micsans wrote:

This is the reason why my ReadyNAS "server" role was reduced to a single passive network drive.

And I'm disapointed about that.

But that's life, Isn't it ????

You can fix the install problem if you take the steps outlined in the posts I linked.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@Micsans wrote:

Message: "Cannot install application xxxx" whatever "xxxx" is.

Check this info:

The underlying issue is that the version of Debian the ReadyNAS uses has been deprecated, and the Debian community moved their repositories to an archive.

Message 2 of 7
Micsans
Aspirant

Thank you StephenB.

Yes I'm effraid that it sounded like that....

Therefore, I modified my backup policy and finally installed Idrive for desktop on each PC instead of installing it once on my ReadyNAS server. And it works, as soon as each PC is running during the scheduled backup!

That means that my ReadyNAS is now no more than an single network drive, which could be replaced by a single USB device.... It is no longer a "server".

Thanks again.

Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@Micsans wrote:

Therefore, I modified my backup policy and finally installed Idrive for desktop on each PC instead of installing it once on my ReadyNAS server. And it works, as soon as each PC is running during the scheduled backup!

FreeFileSync is another path you could use.  It runs on the PCs, and can back them up on schedule to the NAS.   It can be set to wake up the PC when it is time to do the backup.

Message 4 of 7
Micsans
Aspirant

Thanks again,

There is thousands of synchronisation/backup files tools. I agree. Each is better than the others!

I was using Goodsync from the Pc's to the NAS server, automaticaly when connected (some laptops and desktops)

I was also using time to time SyncBackFree for manual purposes.

I got in that way a local backup, very fast to restore in case of crashes or individual file restore needs.

To be honnest, I only used that backup 2 times..... all along 7 years.... but one is enough!

OK... This didn't solved the server crashes, or fire, or theft.

For that, I was using Idrive from Idrive.com  to backup the server to the cloud every night. That means, all the PC's that were synchronized with the server were backed up to the cloud.

Idrive ran every night from the server, even if the PC's were disconnected from the network. That means an application installed on the server itself.

Now, due to the lack of Netgear OS support, I'm doing the same in a "parralel" mode:

Each PC continues to be synchronized all along the day to the server with Goodsync AND to the cloud with Idrive at 12 A.M.

This is the reason why my ReadyNAS "server" role was reduced to a single passive network drive.

Message 5 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@Micsans wrote:

You can fix the install problem if you take the steps outlined in the posts I linked.

Message 6 of 7
Micsans
Aspirant

Thank you all for your help.

The suggested solution is probably the best, but too much complex to implement for me.

I changed my backup policy, and now everything is OK for me.

My ReadyNAS 102 is no longer a server and became a big network external disk, until I'll decide to move the hard disks from the ReadyNAS directly into my desktop, to save energy consumption.

Thanks again.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements