× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 426 safe shutdown HOW?

KenTanker0us1
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 426 safe shutdown HOW?

Hello friends. I'm back for more good advice from all of you wonderful experts.

Recently we had a power outage here and my whole network was on battery backup. We also lost internet connectivity.

I was not able to do a safe shut down on my RN426 because the only way I have been successfuly able to do a safe shutdown has been through the web control panel. This doesn't work when there is no internet connectivity.

The support docs I have are not satisfactory. They tell me to do a safe shutdown by the button-pressing-3-times method that works beautifully on my older NAS. This doesn't work on my newer NAS (the RN426).

Can somebody please tell me how I can do a safe shutdown on my RN426 without the internet? Thanks very much for your time.

best

Ken

Model: RN426| ReadyNAS High-performance Business Data Storage - 6-Bays
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS 426 safe shutdown HOW?

If you crack open the door, and press the power button twice, you should see a prompt on the LCD panel telling you to press it again to power down the NAS.  If you do that, it should do a clean shutdown.

This does work on my RN52x ReadyNAS.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 8

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

You should be able to use the Web UI shutdown without internet connectivity, so that aspect is confusing to me.

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-100/ReadyNAS_%20OS6_Desktop_HM_EN.pdf wrote:

To gracefully shut down your system using the Power button:

1. If the status display screen is not lit, do the following:

• a. Press the Power button on the front panel of the system. The status display screen wakes.
  • b. Press the Power button a second time. Instructions for graceful shutdown display on the status display screen.
  • c. Press the Power button a third time.

The system shuts down gracefully.

2. If the status display screen is lit, do the following:

• a. Press the Power button on the front panel of the system. Instructions for graceful shutdown display on the status display screen.
  • b. Press the Power button again. The system shuts down gracefully.

The system shuts down gracefully

Message 2 of 8
KenTanker0us1
Aspirant

Hey StephenB, I'm glad to see you.

Yes, it's confusing to me too. But it did happen. I could not get to the web UI on the RN426 when the web went down.Perhaps there's a way to work around this? I don't know at this point. Perhaps I'll figure out that one eventually, but this idea of not being able to do a safe shut down with the button method troubles me.

First off, the instructions refer to a power button on the front panel, etc. These are the exact instructions I use for my old ReadyNAS, because there is indeed a power button on the front panel, and it works perfectly.

BUT on my RN426 there is a front DOOR with NO power button. Playing with the button on the front door is good for nothing when I want to do a safe shutdown. The power button is BEHIND the front door, where the drive bays are. So okay, I try and press that button 3 times, with short delays in between, like it would be on the old NAS. Nothing happens. I'm totally afraid to mess with that button beyond trying to press it 3 times because if I act without knowledge, I could break something.

I hope I'm making sense with these questions. I know you'll be able to help once all is clear. Thanks so much for your time, StephenB.

best

Ken

Message 3 of 8
StephenB
Guru

If you crack open the door, and press the power button twice, you should see a prompt on the LCD panel telling you to press it again to power down the NAS.  If you do that, it should do a clean shutdown.

This does work on my RN52x ReadyNAS.

Message 4 of 8
Sandshark
Sensei

As long as your intranet is working, you shoud be able to connect directly to the NAS.  It sounds like you are trying to use ReadyCloud instead of a direct connectios.  That would be affected by the internet being down.

Your best bet is to connect the NAS to the UPS via USB so that the NAS will gracefully shut down on it's own.  That way, it still works when you are not home.

Message 5 of 8
KenTanker0us1
Aspirant

This worked. On mine I had to press it 3 times before I got the notice about pressing once more for shutdown, but no worries.

Thank you, StephenB.

Message 6 of 8
KenTanker0us1
Aspirant

Sandshark, thanks very much for your reply. I can't explain why, but I was definitely unable to use the control panel when I lost internet. Weird, isn't it. Could it be because I'm using Chrome? No idea. I won't worry as long as I have other ways of safe shut down.

I do have the NAS connected to a UPS, so it should work that way too. Question: I notice in the Power/UPS settings that it's set to Auto, and there are other choices for 10%, 20%, etc. I assume these percentages refer to battery life. Can you tell me at what percentage the Auto would do a safe shut down? I'm curious.

Thanks again for your time and help.

Message 7 of 8
Sandshark
Sensei

Auto is what I use as well.  As the batteries get older, the time to go from a fixed percentage to zero goes down.  So I don't want to be guessing.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements