× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Duo Mac OS 12.6 Monterey

Koloni
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Duo Mac OS 12.6 Monterey

Having used ReadyNAS Duo v1 (RND2110) on a MacBook Pro all the way back to 2010, I would like to use it on my new MacBook Pro M1 Pro. 

Is this possible?

How mot do it?

How to configure?

What to download?

Thanks for any answer.

Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS Duo Mac OS 12.6 Monterey

@Koloni wrote:

Having used ReadyNAS Duo v1 (RND2110) on a MacBook Pro all the way back to 2010, I would like to use it on my new MacBook Pro M1 Pro. 

Is this possible?

How mot do it?

How to configure?

What to download?

Thanks for any answer.

Note that I'm not a Mac user.

There are challenges - the NAS only supports SMB 1, which I think Apple has deprecated.  AFP and NFS are other options, though I think AFP is also being phased out.  FTP could be used, though with finder it would be read-only.  You could still get write access with third-party software (for instance FileZilla).

Are AFP and NFS enabled for the NAS shares?

What happens if you try to connect to the NAS with Finder?

Message 2 of 6
Koloni
Aspirant

Current system info: MacBook Pro (16 inch, 2021), Apple Pro M1, MacOS 12.6 Monterey.

In opening Finder I can see the ReadyNAS's two "virtual" disks:

smb://nas-53-CB-3B (CIFS)._smb._tcp.local

afp://nas-53-CB-3B (AFP)._afpovertcp._tcp.local

By "Connect to Server ..." the following folders of both volumes show up: backup and media.

"Backup" is empty on both volumes, "media" has the following folders in both volumes: BitTorrent, Documents, DVD Projects, Fotos, iMovie Events, Music, Pictures, Videos.

In Finder on my older MacBook Pro (15 inch, 2.4/2.2 GHz), 2,2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, MacOS 19.11.6 El Capitan, I find a third ReadyNAS volume nas-53-CB-3B, that contains a folder ReadyNAS. I have never bothered to investigate why three volumes exist. I had TimeMachine installed from the very beginning (2010) and had always TimeMachine backup without a hick-up. Later I added other occasional files. The AFP and the CIFS seemed to be identical.

I read that AFP should be replaced by SMB, but I might be mistaken.

I guess that I can use either ForkLift (part of SetApp bundle) or FileZilla.

My big question: can I use TimeMachine v1.3 from my MacBook Pro M1 with the NetGear’s ReadyNAS Duo v1 (RND2000v1) without any problems in the future or would it be better to invest in a new ReadyNAS? I might not have it so easy to connect with older ReadyNAS models.

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

What firmware are you running?

@Koloni wrote:

By "Connect to Server ..." the following folders of both volumes show up: backup and media.

"Backup" is empty on both volumes, "media" has the following folders in both volumes: BitTorrent, Documents, DVD Projects, Fotos, iMovie Events, Music, Pictures, Videos.

These aren't virtual disks. AFP and SMB are two different protocols used to access the NAS.  In your case, both the backup and media shares (not volumes) are shared using both protocols.  So two different methods of accessing exactly the same folders.

FWIW, nas-53-CB-3B is just the name of your NAS - you apparently never renamed it.

@Koloni wrote:

In Finder on my older MacBook Pro (15 inch, 2.4/2.2 GHz), 2,2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, MacOS 19.11.6 El Capitan, I find a third ReadyNAS volume nas-53-CB-3B, that contains a folder ReadyNAS.

Likely you are logging into the NAS using different credentials on this MacBook.  ReadyNAS is probably the username - in which case this is called a "home" or "private" folder.  Does it have any data in it.

@Koloni wrote:

My big question: can I use TimeMachine v1.3 from my MacBook Pro M1 with the NetGear’s ReadyNAS Duo v1 (RND2000v1) without any problems in the future or would it be better to invest in a new ReadyNAS? I might not have it so easy to connect with older ReadyNAS models.

Netgear stopped building the Duo v1 back in 2011, so you have a NAS that is at least 11 years old.  The last (and final) firmware update was in 2017.  So while TimeMachine might work now (no idea, as I am not a Mac user), there likely will be issues down the road - if nothing else, your NAS will eventually fail.

I don't think you'll find a new ReadyNAS out there though - inventory is very scarce.  Though Netgear hasn't said anything, most of the regulars here suspect they have quietly exited the business.  They are still providing firmware releases, but generally no new features - mostly security updates. So you'd need to look into other brands.

Message 4 of 6
Koloni
Aspirant

What firmware are you running?

Firmware is 4.1.16

@Koloni wrote:

These aren't virtual disks. AFP and SMB are two different protocols used to access the NAS.  In your case, both the backup and media shares (not volumes) are shared using both protocols.  So two different methods of accessing exactly the same folders.

FWIW, nas-53-CB-3B is just the name of your NAS - you apparently never renamed it.

Unfortunately there was no explanation of why there would be two different protocols accessing on the same NAS. I didn't bother, as it just kept on working. Neither did I bother to change the nas-53-CB-3B, as I knew that that was the ReadyNAS.

Today while accessing the NAS (on MacBook Pro M1 Monterey) via ForkLift (FileZilla will not give so good overview) I found out that the AFP protocol gave the following files: admin (empty but apparently writeable), backup (empty but apparently writeable), homes (admin folder but apparently writeable), media (8 folders but apparently writeable). The CIFS protocol gave the following: admin, backup, c, home, media. Otherwise both protocols gave the exact amount of space occupied (in GB without any decimals) on the NAS. A little bit funny that CIFS add the "c" folder.

On the other hand the volume (protocol?) nas-53-CB-3B (without any reference to either AFP or CIFS) holds the folders admin (not write protected) and ReadyNAS (write protected). 

Each time I click on the volumes in Finder (on MacBook Pro M1 Monterey), I can access them and see their contents. But when I do the same in ForkLift, I will get a warning: 

"There was a problem connecting to the server “nas-53-cb-3b (afp).”. The server may not exist or it is unavailable at this time. Check the server name or IP address, check your network connection, and then try again."

Followed by "The item can't be opened  Can't mount network drive: (64)"

After clicking these away I can access the volumes, but there is no indication if the volumes are write-protected or not.

@Koloni wrote:

In Finder on my older MacBook Pro (15 inch, 2.4/2.2 GHz), 2,2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, MacOS 19.11.6 El Capitan, I find a third ReadyNAS volume nas-53-CB-3B, that contains a folder ReadyNAS.
Likely you are logging into the NAS using different credentials on this MacBook.  ReadyNAS is probably the username - in which case this is called a "home" or "private" folder.  Does it have any data in it.

On my old MacBook Pro ((15 inch, 2.4/2.2 GHz), 2,2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, MacOS 19.11.6 El Capitan) there three volumes/protocols:

- nas-53-CB-3B (write-protected) containing the folders admin (empty and writeable) and ReadyNAS (empty and write protected)

- nas-53-CB-3B (AFP) (write-protected) containing admin (empty and writeable), backup (empty and writeable), homes (empty and write-protected), media (empty and write-protected)

- nas-53-CB-3B (CIFS) (write-protected) containing admin (empty and writeable), backup (empty and write-protected), c (empty and write-protected), homes (empty and write-protected), media (empty and write-protected)

@Koloni wrote:

Netgear stopped building the Duo v1 back in 2011, so you have a NAS that is at least 11 years old.  The last (and final) firmware update was in 2017.  So while TimeMachine might work now (no idea, as I am not a Mac user), there likely will be issues down the road - if nothing else, your NAS will eventually fail.

I don't think you'll find a new ReadyNAS out there though - inventory is very scarce.  Though Netgear hasn't said anything, most of the regulars here suspect they have quietly exited the business.  They are still providing firmware releases, but generally no new features - mostly security updates. So you'd need to look into other brands.

I think you have provided the answers I was looking for. In the meantime I have tried to provide some more aspects from my machines for your further information and knowledge database.

Now I have to save up for a new solution. Probably better to have it saved locally, rather up in the cloud, where it sits in big data centers and consume TW of electricity. What is your hint?

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@Koloni wrote:

- nas-53-CB-3B (write-protected) containing the folders admin (empty and writeable) and ReadyNAS (empty and write protected)

- nas-53-CB-3B (AFP) (write-protected) containing admin (empty and writeable), backup (empty and writeable), homes (empty and write-protected), media (empty and write-protected)

- nas-53-CB-3B (CIFS) (write-protected) containing admin (empty and writeable), backup (empty and write-protected), c (empty and write-protected), homes (empty and write-protected), media (empty and write-protected)

You are using the NAS admin credentials to access the NAS. With SMB, that gives you access to the full data volume (c), But the folders shouldn't be empty (homes in particular should have admin as a subfolder).  So something is wrong there (on both the old and new Macs).  

The ReadyNAS folder is also a bit of a puzzle, it's not clear why you aren't seeing that with CIFS or  AFP.  I am wondering if it might actually be a DLNA service.

Is there data on this NAS that you need to recover?

@Koloni wrote:

Now I have to save up for a new solution. Probably better to have it saved locally, rather up in the cloud, where it sits in big data centers and consume TW of electricity. What is your hint?

Although data centers do use a lot of power, power per TB of storage is likely less than a home NAS. Many are very focussed on sustainability, and have invested in renewal energy.  I think the bigger question here is whether you trust the cloud provider with your data.  Another question is how your internet speed will affect performance.  Also, if your internet provider has a data cap, using cloud storage might require upgrading to a more expensive plan.

Generally, if you need a lot of storage (more capacity than your Duo can handle), then I think a home NAS makes a lot of sense.  But if your storage needs are modest (2 TB or less), then cloud storage from Apple, Google, or Microsoft (among other providers) is definitely worth considering.

Getting 2 TB of storage from Apple (iCloud+) would cost $9.99 per month in the US.  Prices for other countries are here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201238  It would be well-integrated with your Macs (and also your iPhone if you use one), and there is no learning curve needed to manage it.

As far as alternative vendors for home NAS, I only own ReadyNAS myself.  But Synology is a popular alternative.  A DS218 with two 2 TB Seagate Ironwolf drives would cost about $400 USD, in Europe it would be about 480€.

So financially, it would take 3-4 years for an investment in a home NAS to break even with cloud storage at current prices - assuming there is no need to upgrade your internet service. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements