× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Ultra II visible but not usable from Win7

swejens
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Ultra II visible but not usable from Win7

Hi, have a weird problem with my NAS. I can ping it within my network, I can surf to it within my network but I can't use it as a storage. (My network = 192.168.3.xxx). I could use it as storage but now when I try to set up a drive letter that uses the NAS all I get from Win7 is "Can't reach //NAS2TB/private" and "Network path not found, error code 0x80070035" (This is not the exact wording since I'm running Swedish Win7).

Three days ago all was well. My wifes computer still sees the NAS and can use it for storage. She is using the same wireless network, and win10. What I find really weird is that Win7 says it can't find it but still sees it (se attached picture).

I've googled a lot and found information on MS about what services must be started and all is as should be. I did find something about SMB (?) which was really cryptical. Didn't understand what it meant I should do.

My knowledge level is power user+ but I'm not a wizard.

Any tips?

This is my ReadyNAS

Värdnamn: NAS2TB

Modell: ReadyNAS Ultra 2

Serie: 2EH2150W011A9

Fast programvara: RAIDiator 4.2.17 

Minne: 1024 MB [DDR3]

IPv4-adress: 1: 192.168.3.10

Model: RNDU2120|ReadyNAS Ultra 2 2TB (1 x 2TB Desktop)
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS Ultra II visible but not usable from Win7

@swejens wrote:

"Can't reach //NAS2TB/private" and "Network path not found, error code 0x80070035" (This is not the exact wording since I'm running Swedish Win7).

Either you mistyped this in the forum, or you are using the wrong slash direction with windows (it should be \\NAS2TB\private)

What happens if you run CMD from windows and enter

net use * /delete
net use t: \\192.168.3.10\C /user:admin nas-admin-password

using the real admin password of course.

The first command terminates any open SMB sessions (so it will dismount any other network drives you have mapped).

The second command attempts to mount the full NAS data volume as drive letter t.  Note it is using the NAS admin credentials to do that.

Be careful on the typing (particularly the two different slash directions and the spaces).  Also, please do use the NAS IP address for this test (not it's hostname).

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 10

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@swejens wrote:

"Can't reach //NAS2TB/private" and "Network path not found, error code 0x80070035" (This is not the exact wording since I'm running Swedish Win7).

Either you mistyped this in the forum, or you are using the wrong slash direction with windows (it should be \\NAS2TB\private)

What happens if you run CMD from windows and enter

net use * /delete
net use t: \\192.168.3.10\C /user:admin nas-admin-password

using the real admin password of course.

The first command terminates any open SMB sessions (so it will dismount any other network drives you have mapped).

The second command attempts to mount the full NAS data volume as drive letter t.  Note it is using the NAS admin credentials to do that.

Be careful on the typing (particularly the two different slash directions and the spaces).  Also, please do use the NAS IP address for this test (not it's hostname).

Message 2 of 10
swejens
Aspirant

Thank you!! 

The "//NAS2TB/private" was a typo, it was actually "\\NAS2TB...".

Great, thanks, it worked using the IP adress, great. Still wonder why but that's a different question. Again thanks!

Message 3 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@swejens wrote:

Still wonder why but that's a different question. 

Sometimes Windows has trouble discovering the NAS - in those cases it will work ok with IP addresses, but not the hostname.

Another factor is that Windows can only connect to a device using one set of credentials at a time.  That can sometimes get in the way, and the error messages can be rather misleading.  The "net use * /delete" covers that possibility.

I suspect discovery might have been the problem in your case.

Message 4 of 10
swejens
Aspirant

Yes, discovery is the problem as I now understand it.

As mentioned, my wifes PC sees the NAS as a NAS and sees my computer ánd uses the "\\NAS2TB\Private" while mine doesn't see hers and can not use the name.

Any suggestions where to learn a little, from a beginners perspective, about discovery and how to make it work? (mslldp.dll isn't in my win\system32\drivers directory and I don't have the protocol "Microsoft LLDP protocol driver" in my network card properties, (and I seem unable to add it)).

But my main problem is solved, thank you so much! 🙂

Message 5 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@swejens wrote:

Any suggestions where to learn a little, from a beginners perspective, about discovery and how to make it work?

Not really (other than googling).

From a practical perpective there are two workarounds

• Just use the IP address
  • create a hosts file on the PC

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/27350/beginner-geek-how-to-edit-your-hosts-file/

Either way, you want a persistent IP address for the NAS.  While using a static IP address configuration will work, you are better off using address reservation in your router (most have that feature).

Message 6 of 10
swejens
Aspirant

Thanks again, am reading the article about hosts now. *thumbs up*

Have static IP on the NAS. Would there be a problem to have static IP on the NAS and a reservation in the router? (Yes, the router has that option and yes, I would use the same adress.)

Message 7 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@swejens wrote:

Have static IP on the NAS. Would there be a problem to have static IP on the NAS and a reservation in the router? (Yes, the router has that option and yes, I would use the same adress.)

There's no benefit, since the NAS will never ask the router for an address.

The advantages of address reservation are

1. all your addresses are managed in one place, so there won't be any accidental duplicates.
  2. when you change routers to one with a different address range you won't lose connectivity (though you will need to redo the addresses).

The second issue pops up here pretty frequently.  There are ways to fix a broken IP configuration in the NAS, but address reservation prevents the problem.

Message 8 of 10
swejens
Aspirant

Ok, I see your point and I would generally agree. However, at my home routers are changed much more often than the NAS so for me I have fixed IPs on all things that are not computers. DHCP leases adresses in the range and all fixed in another.

Thanks again for all advice and help! 

I might come back to this since I'm grappling with another problem but due to lightning (bad weather) my stuff keeps turning off since the power comes and goes so I can't really make consistent tests at the moment.

Message 9 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@swejens wrote:

Ok, I see your point and I would generally agree. However, at my home routers are changed much more often than the NAS so for me I have fixed IPs on all things that are not computers. DHCP leases adresses in the range and all fixed in another.

It helps if you understand how subnets work and how to configure them in your router of course.

Personally I go the other way - reserving addresses for everything that stays on my network.  Though I agree my approach means it takes a while to configure a new router.  I wish Netgear routers supported a CSV input format for address reservation (and maybe port forwarding).

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements