× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS died, how to get data?

GregSWI
Aspirant

ReadyNAS died, how to get data?

Hey everyone. My ancient ReadyNAS is no longer accessible. This is an old, old platform so I'm not interested in fixing this device, but I would like to get my data off. Any suggestions for

(a) any way to directly mount the disk to a Mac for a one time copy?

or

(b) any recommendations for a data recover service?

Working backwards now if interested or have suggestions to help me with access:

I have an open ticket with Netgear support and while they are professional and polite, they won't help me. The Netgear recovery service only works if they can remotely connect to the device, which is my problem.

What is happening to my device is that one day all was fine then the next day I cannot connect to the drive. The power button was unresponsive so after unplugging and plugging the power the device booted up and I could watch through RaidAR as it went through the checksum and resyncing steps and everything comes back without error. Both disks show as 'green' in RaidAR. I can then open a new connection and see the top level directories but as soon as I try to navigate into one (even with terminal), the device fails to respond then eventually drops the connection. I haven't found any way around this.

Support asked for the logs. But this version of ReadyNAS is so old (it was no longer upgradable), I get a security error when trying to access the admin page so I cannot get the logs and support won't help any further if I can't send the logs. 

So there ya have it. Like I say, while it's been a great device I'm fine moving away from it but would like to get my data off. Any help is appreciated. 

And, btw, there is nothing on it that is unrecoverable by other means. My photography is uploaded to the Netgear Vault cloud storage but the biggest pain is all my ripped music is on the NAS. I can re-rip and re-download but, ugh... a "cp *" would be sooo much better. 

Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS died, how to get data?

@GregSWI wrote:

You mentioned a USB/SATA adapter. When I searched the community I could only find references to Windows based software to read the Unix format. Are you aware of any solutions that work for Mac OS?

https://www.r-studio.com/data_recovery_macintosh/ ought to work (though I am not a Mac user, so I have no personal experience).  You should be able to download and test it for free (paying for it only if it finds your files). Actual recovery will require paying for it.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 8

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@GregSWI wrote:

Support asked for the logs. But this version of ReadyNAS is so old (it was no longer upgradable), I get a security error when trying to access the admin page so I cannot get the logs and support won't help any further if I can't send the logs. 

If you are seeing the SSL/TLS protocol mismatch error, then you can regain access to Frontview using an old version of FireFox. You need to immediately reconfigure it to not autoupdate after installing it.  I know that FireFox 94.0.2 will connect (likely many other old versions will also).

Once in, you can try troubleshooting your file acess issue.  You could enable FTP and use an FTP client like FileZilla.  Note it will use FTPS by default (which will require you to either find the option to allow TLS 1.0, or adjust the protocol to explicitly use ordinary FTP).

@GregSWI wrote:

Hey everyone. My ancient ReadyNAS is no longer accessible. This is an old, old platform so I'm not interested in fixing this device, but I would like to get my data off. Any suggestions for

(a) any way to directly mount the disk to a Mac for a one time copy?

or

(b) any recommendations for a data recover service?

• What NAS model is this and what firmware is it running (RAIDar will tell you both)?
  • How many disks are in the RAID array?  If you can attach them to the PC with USB/SATA adapters or a multibay enclosure, then you could use RAID recovery software to offload the data.

Message 2 of 8
GregSWI
Aspirant

Thank you StephenB.

I'll give the old version of Firefox a shot. I run into challenges with Mac OS not allowing old versions to run so a little bit of a rock and hard place. But will start there.

You mentioned a USB/SATA adapter. When I searched the community I could only find references to Windows based software to read the Unix format. Are you aware of any solutions that work for Mac OS?

Thanks again.

Message 3 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@GregSWI wrote:

https://www.r-studio.com/data_recovery_macintosh/ ought to work (though I am not a Mac user, so I have no personal experience).  You should be able to download and test it for free (paying for it only if it finds your files). Actual recovery will require paying for it.

Message 4 of 8
GregSWI
Aspirant

Awesome, thanks again!

I'm currently pursuing the old browser and FTP suggestion but will go to the dock approach if that doesn't work out.

Message 5 of 8
Sandshark
Sensei

The problem may be the power supply.  If it's one with an internal supply, you can use a standard ATX power supply with a simple adapter cable to power it temporarily to get the files.

Message 6 of 8
GregSWI
Aspirant

Problem SOLVED!

With the old browser trick I was able to get to the admin page and the logs. In them I see drive 1 had failed (throwing thousands of errors.) I powered off, popped out that drive then when powered back up I could access my data from drive 2. I copied to a local SSD overnight, and I'm good!

Interesting that drive 1 was the issue yet RAIDar still gave it the green 'check mark'... Anyway, I'm good now and thank you again for your advice!

Message 7 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@GregSWI wrote:

Interesting that drive 1 was the issue yet RAIDar still gave it the green 'check mark'...

Yeah, that is regrettable.  FWIW, that often happens with OS-6 ReadyNAS also.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements