× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS104 - "READYNAS does not detect any discs"

Warhead666
Aspirant

ReadyNAS104 - "READYNAS does not detect any discs"

I've had two 14Tb drives inserted into my ReadyNAS104, working fine, under, I think X-RAID (the top of the four options to the left of the Volume screen).

I went to shut the NAS down as the power needed to be turned off in my house. The software warned me that without a volume, all my settings would be lost. Rather than risk the power just being cut, I accepted the warning, and powered down.

On power up,  "READYNAS does not detect any discs"

It suggests swapping them in the bays, and trying again, which I've done, to no avail.

Have I, once again, lost all that data? (It's backed up, but that's not the point).

Message 1 of 9
Warhead666
Aspirant

Re: ReadyNAS104 - "READYNAS does not detect any discs"

I've cold- and hot-swapped the two discs multiple times. They never get seen (except briefly on the front panel display of the ReadyNAS.

I've recreated my account, and now the ReadyNAS web interface is saying "No volumes exist, select discs to create a volume", but it doesn't show either of the inserted discs in the graphic, nor will it let me click on "New Volume".

Message 2 of 9
Warhead666
Aspirant

I tried a reboot with just the first (original) disc, in the hope that it was the one with the account details I'd set up. That seemed to work, albeit with the single disc showing in red. I added the second disc, and now have it working (and visible on the network) as before.

However, should I still be creating a "Volume"? I have no option to do that (the "New Volume" button" doesn't respond).

I am worried that the next power-down will result in the same issue.

Warhead666_0-1671547688242.png

Message 3 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@Warhead666 wrote:

However, should I still be creating a "Volume"? 

No, you already have the volume (called "Data").

X-RAID only supports one volume.

Message 4 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

This sounds like a power problem.  There is enough to spin up only one drive at a time.  It could be the power brick itself, which is easily replaced, or one of the internal regulators, for which repair is not available.  Another user recently had this issue, and a blinking LED on the supply itself was a clue that it was the brick.

This is a suitable replacement supply, if you want to give that a try: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NCG1P8X 

Message 5 of 9
Warhead666
Aspirant

Thanks Stephen. Is there a way (without powering down), to save my settings so that on the next power-up, I don't have to go through this again?

Message 6 of 9
Warhead666
Aspirant

Thanks, Sandshark - I'd not considered that. The NAS seemed to have no issue powering up and down when it only contained 2x4TB and 2x3Tb drives, perhaps 14Tb take a bit more juice to get going? Is that likely?

Message 7 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@Warhead666 wrote:

Is there a way (without powering down), to save my settings so that on the next power-up, I don't have to go through this again?

Not that I know of.

@Warhead666 wrote:

The NAS seemed to have no issue powering up and down when it only contained 2x4TB and 2x3Tb drives, perhaps 14Tb take a bit more juice to get going? Is that likely?

It is certainly possible. Different disk models have different power requirements. Start-up power requirements doesn't always show up on the drive data sheets, so this isn't that easy to pin down.  But it is considerably higher than the average power draw from the disks.

Message 8 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

If the 2TB and 3TB drives are all 5400RPM and the 14TB are 7200RPM, then definitely.  If all are 7200, then it's likely, but may not be, especially if the smaller drives are older (not because age makes them take more, just that drive designs have gotten more efficient).

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements