× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Readynas 104 data dead

hmf
Aspirant
Aspirant

Readynas 104 data dead

Hallo to everyone,

I have had my readynas 104 for 9 years with:

1st bay nas drive 3TB (Western Digital Red 3TB 3.5 SATA 64MB HDD)

2nd bay nas drive 3TB (Western Digital Red 3TB 3.5 SATA 64MB HDD)

since October 2021 addaed 

3rd bay nas drive 4TB (Western Digital Red Plus 4TB 3.5 SATA 128MB HDD)

4th bay nas drive 4TB (Western Digital Red Plus 4TB 3.5 SATA 128MB HDD)

Everything was working fine untill few days ago 

I got alarm, that data was degraded ( problem with drive at 2nd bay).

I bought one nas drives 4TB. (Western Digital Red Plus 4TB 3.5 SATA 128MB HDD)

I changed the nas drive on 2nd bay with new  4TB and the data synchronization started. On the second day and at about 99% of data synchronization I got the alarm "data dead".

Now there is no access to my data.

Then I get alarms "remove inactive volumes to use the disk. Disk #1,2,3,4."

Please help don’t know what to do

Photos and files of a life time are not accessible.

Thanks

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Readynas 104 data dead

@hmf 

Welcome to the Community!

The best option to properly recover the data is to have a Data recovery contract with Support or from a third party service provider or application which may cost less.

You can PM me the logs if possible so we can check what happened and see if there's a chance we can remount the volume.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@hmf wrote:

Please help don’t know what to do

Photos and files of a life time are not accessible.

One option is to get a data recovery contract with Netgear. https://kb.netgear.com/69/ReadyNAS-Data-Recovery-Diagnostics-Scope-of-Service Though expensive, professional data recovery is the safest path to get your data back w/o loss.

If you want to do more on your own first, you need to be very careful - as you can easily do more damage.  I'd start by downloading the full log zip from the NAS admin ui.  Then I'd power down the NAS, and test the disks in a PC using WD's dashboard utility (or lifeguard if you still have that installed).  While you are doing that, you can look through the log zip (or maybe ask one of the mods to analyze it for you), and see if you can find the event(s) that resulted in the degraded and dead volume.

Message 2 of 5
hmf
Aspirant
Aspirant

thank you for your reply. first option of netgear recovery unfortunatly is too expensive for me.

thinking maybe to try and do it myself, how do I contact mods to analyze what happened?

Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@hmf wrote:

how do I contact mods to analyze what happened?

I'm tagging them, so one should respond here - @Marc_V and @JeraldM.  It is a courtesy, so it does depend on their overall workload.

The process is to upload the full log zip to cloud storage (google drive, icloud, onedrive, dropbox, ..,), and get a download link from that.  Send the mod who will look over them a private message (PM) using the envelope icon at the top of the forum page.  Include the download link in the PM.

BTW, don't post the download link in the public forum - there is some privacy leakage when you do that.

Message 4 of 5
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@hmf 

Welcome to the Community!

The best option to properly recover the data is to have a Data recovery contract with Support or from a third party service provider or application which may cost less.

You can PM me the logs if possible so we can check what happened and see if there's a chance we can remount the volume.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements