× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Readynas Ultra 6 (RNDU6000) After Memory Test and rebooted Error " No Disks Detected"

thekidbass
Tutor

Re: Readynas Ultra 6 (RNDU6000) After Memory Test and rebooted Error " No Disks Detected"

I want full storage capacitiy. That's the way I had it prior to upgrading the memory, when the drives were not being recognized. All I have to do is delete the volume that includes the 3 drives. When I get the additional 3 drives, I'll create a single volume with all 6 drives for a total of just under 17TB, which is how I had it setup since I purchased it back in 2017.

Message 51 of 55
StephenB
Guru

@thekidbass wrote:

I want full storage capacitiy. 

I have one NAS (a two-bay RN202) where I want that as well.  I've gone with JBOD (single disk volumes) instead of RAID-0.

Although I do need to make sure I have enough free space on both volumes, I don't find that to be that difficult in practice - especially as disks have become larger.

JBOD has a couple of advantages over RAID-0:

• failure of a disk only loses the files on that disk.  With RAID-0, you lose everything if one disk fails.
  • recovery (if needed) is much simpler

Though on my larger NAS, I just go with XRAID, and get big enough disks to preserve single redundancy and get the storage I want.

Message 52 of 55
thekidbass
Tutor

Thanks for the info. The only reason I didn't upgrade the drives in this Ultra 6 to larger ones is that I wanted to use the drives that are still functional which are only 3TB. At the time I purchased this NAS, I don't think WD were making RED NAS drives larger than that. If the drives eventually do fail again, then I'll go the way of your recmmendation of using larger drives and use X-RAID2 for redundancy. When this Ultra wipe out all the media I had in it (18TB), I already had it all backed up on raw HDs stored in my closet. LOL

Fortunately I also have the Netgear Readynas 316. When I purchased it, I used 6x4TB drives and maxed it out with the two expansion cabinets (EDA500s) for a total of 58.75TB. I was able to restore the 18TBs of media from the Ultra 6 to the Readynas 316. Now I have another 18TB free space in the upgraded Ultra 6, running OS6 ver 6.10.8. Thanks to your expertise in helping me revive the Ultra 6. Luckily I didn't trash it when I had the problem with the drives not being recognized after the memory upgrade.

Message 53 of 55
StephenB
Guru

@thekidbass wrote:

When this Ultra wipe out all the media I had in it (18TB), I already had it all backed up on raw HDs stored in my closet. 

It is of course best practice to have a backup of the data even with X-RAID, since RAID redundancy isn't enough to keep it safe.

When you do have backup(s), the downsides of RAID-0 are just an inconvenience, since you can recreate the volume and restore the data from the backup if it fails.  Time-consuming, but not a disaster.

Message 54 of 55
thekidbass
Tutor

Yes, definitely. The 18TBs of media I had on the Ultra 6 took me a week and a half to restore onto the Readynas 316.

Message 55 of 55
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 54 replies
  • 14 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements