× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Recover deleted file

AlexSLTay
Aspirant

Recover deleted file

I have ReadyNAS RN104 version 6.10.8, running 4 drives on RAID5.

I have turned on Snapshot and my last Snapshot was stamped 14 Jan 0000hrs.

This morning (17 Jan) I accidentally deleted some files. Is there a way for me to recover those deleted files that were just deleted?

I'd appreciate your help and guidance.

Message 1 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: Recover deleted file

On the Shares tab, select the gear icon for the share and then select Recover.  Select a snapshot, navigate to the file, then right-click and choose Restore.

If you've enabled Windows previous versions, you can also recover via Windows.

Message 2 of 7
AlexSLTay
Aspirant

Sandshark, thank you for your guidance. As I have never tried restoring, can I clarify that your method will allow me to recover the files deleted on 17th Jan 0900hrs while the snapshot copy was stamped at 14th Jan 0000hrs?
Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@AlexSLTay wrote:
can I clarify that your method will allow me to recover the files deleted on 17th Jan 0900hrs while the snapshot copy was stamped at 14th Jan 0000hrs?

That method will result in the main share holding exactly the same contents as it held on 14 Jan 0000 hours.

If you added files to the share after that time (that you did not delete), then you should copy them before you do the restore.

Message 4 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

The method I outlined is for restoring a single file, so any other files should be fine.  If you now have a newer file with the same name, it will be overwritten unless you re-name it first.  The recovered file will be as it existed at the time of the snapshot.  So if changes were made to it afterward, they will not be present.

Message 5 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

The method I outlined is for restoring a single file,

Sorry, I didn't read your post carefully enough.

Message 6 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

If you are restoring a whole directory or share, then any files in that directory/share created or modified after the snapshot date would need to backed up elsewhere to prevent the snapshot restore from deleting them.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements