× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Remove Time Machine and all backups

swsb22
Aspirant

Remove Time Machine and all backups

Hi

I have a ReadyNAS Duo [X-RAID], which someone set up for me some years ago. At the time they set it as a backup for Time Machine, however my Mac hard drive had to be replaced and I was unable to access the backups after that, so I went to using a USB drive instead.

I want to remove TM from the NAS and delete the backups, to free up space for media files, without reformatting the entire drive and reloading all my media files. I looked to delete the sparsebundle, but it has a no entry symbol by it (presumably as it was linked to my old drive). I have seen a post that says to set up a TMtemp in shares, log into the C drive through CIFS and move the sparsebundle to the temp folder and delete in frontview. I haven't tried this yet (am a techphobe). I noticed that in the shares list, there's a backup which has a delete button next to it. If I delete this, will it remove all the old backups and presumably I have to stop TM to free up the space (not sure how to do this).

Any help would be greatly received. Thanks

Model: ReadyNAS RND2220|ReadyNAS Duo
Message 1 of 5
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Remove Time Machine and all backups

Hi @swsb22

you can actually remove the sparse image/bundle throughfew procedures. You can check it here.

Hope this helps!

Regards

Message 2 of 5
swsb22
Aspirant

Hi Marc_V

I tried once before to remove the sparsebundle by deleting it when logged in as admin via AFP and first time got the spinning wheel of death and then the next time it seemed to take ages to do nothing, so I stopped it. I've no idea how to use SSH.

If I just delete the backup in frontview, then disable TM in frontview, would that not get rid of the sparsebundle and give me space back?

Regards

swsb22

Message 3 of 5
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You can disable Time Machine on ReadyNAS and locate the sparsebundle and delete it.

Each Mac client using Time Machine can delete the sparsebundle image used by that client by going into the ReadyNAS share on the ReadyNAS device.

It should give the space taken back as free space but logging in through AFP using ReadyNAS as user should be quicker you can find the sparsebundle under /c/.timemachine.

To disable TM you can just uncheck the box. You can use this as reference Easy Time machine setup.

Regards

Message 4 of 5
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.

If your issue is now resolved, we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accept as Solution” or post what resolved it and mark it as solution so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution.

The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements