× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Replacing a dead Readynas NV+ to recover data from drives? #27492351

Sleepstalker
Aspirant

Replacing a dead Readynas NV+ to recover data from drives? #27492351

I just witneessed my Readynas die after many years of good service.  I noticed a strange burning smell and right when I realized it was coming from the area the Readynas was in I saw the lights flicker off and it stopped operating.  Either the power supply or the board in the chassis has burned out and the unit no longer powers on.  I was able to pull the hard drives out and I'm not seeing any burn marks or signs of damage on the drives.  

I really don't want to lose the data and just want to confirm that if I buy a replacement chassis and stick the drives in, in the same order will it be able to boot up and see my data if the hard drives are still working?  Are there any special steps?  Does the firmware need to be updated to match my previous chassis before booting with the drives in?  I can't spend much money now, but is a newer chassis even an option for recovering the data?  It is definitely an older piece of equipment now so if I can find a newer chassis in the same price range I would consider it, but accessing the data is my primary concern so I'll be looking for another Readynas NV+ chassis if that's my only option for saving the array.  I remember I chose the Xraid format when I first set the device up if that matters.

Model: ReadyNASRND4000|ReadyNAS NV+ Chassis only
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hopefully just the PSU failed. The serial number of your unit registered on your profile is in the range for the Service Action to Prevent PSU Failures in ReadyNAS NV/NV+

Please see  How do I replace the stock power supply on the ReadyNAS NV/NV+?

I have opened a case #27492351 and asked support to follow up with you.

If you would rather just buy a new unit you could follow these instructions: ReadyNAS: Migrating disks from RAIDiator 4.1 or RAIDiator 5.3 to ReadyNAS OS 6

It would be simpler to get the PSU replaced and buy a new unit and run some backup jobs to copy the data across to a new unit: How do I back up data from a RAIDiator 4 system to a ReadyNAS OS 6 system?

For your business I'd recommend looking at the 300 series and up e.g. RN314

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hopefully just the PSU failed. The serial number of your unit registered on your profile is in the range for the Service Action to Prevent PSU Failures in ReadyNAS NV/NV+

Please see  How do I replace the stock power supply on the ReadyNAS NV/NV+?

I have opened a case #27492351 and asked support to follow up with you.

If you would rather just buy a new unit you could follow these instructions: ReadyNAS: Migrating disks from RAIDiator 4.1 or RAIDiator 5.3 to ReadyNAS OS 6

It would be simpler to get the PSU replaced and buy a new unit and run some backup jobs to copy the data across to a new unit: How do I back up data from a RAIDiator 4 system to a ReadyNAS OS 6 system?

For your business I'd recommend looking at the 300 series and up e.g. RN314

Message 2 of 3
Sleepstalker
Aspirant

Thank you for the response.  I ordered the 250W Enhance ENP-7025B Power Supply from Amazon and moved a couple of the 12v cables as discussed in several of the user reviews.  I powered it on and it looks like all of my data is intact and it's running normally.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements