× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

SFTP backup From(!) ReadyNAS TO external sftp server (port22), how?

SFTP backup From(!) ReadyNAS TO external sftp server (port22), how?

On my RN424 I like to backup to a remote server via SFTP, but the RN424 only seesm to know FTP. But FTP is not accepted by my remote server. How to use SFTP?

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions

Re: SFTP backup From(!) ReadyNAS TO external sftp server (port22), how?

Solution found: Provider supports SSH shell access on another server with access to smae files as with the ftp server. If I use the shell access server I am able to do rsync with it.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 9

All Replies
Hopchen
Prodigy

Rather than using SSH File Transfer for this, use Rsync over SSH instead. Rysnc is much more optimized for backups and there is a facility in the GUI to set it up.

https://kb.netgear.com/29929/ReadyNAS-OS-6-Setting-up-a-backup-job-with-rsync-over-SSH

Message 2 of 9

For rsync I need to add the public key of the ReadyNAS,

I added it to ~/.ssh/authorized_keys file.

But a connection seems not to be working. I doubt whether the sftp server accepts rsync.

Message 3 of 9
Hopchen
Prodigy

Well rsync runs "inside" SSH here, so if the server accepts SSH, it will work fine.

But yes, you need to do keys for authentication which is more secure anyway. It's very easy to setup though.

The connection test fails due to authentication because you haven't done the key "exchanges" yet.
Message 4 of 9
Hopchen
Prodigy

Ohh sorry.

You did the key exchange. Misread.

What path do you enter on the NAS? The remote path.
Message 5 of 9

Just the name of a directory which exists on the sftp server without any slashes: RN

Even if I add the full path to my directory /home/some-path-to-my-directory it does not work, although now testing my connection says the connection failed istead of doing nothing.

Please note that I am not the owner of the sftp server, so I can only access my own directory and added the ,ssh/authorized_keys file to it,

Message 6 of 9
Hopchen
Prodigy

Ok, so that won't work. You gotta specify full path here. Would have been the same if using something SFTP.

Starting with the / and it is case sensitive.

For example:

/home/myuser/RN

If it still does not work, PM me and give me screenshot of the settings on your backup job. I don't want you to post any public IPs here 🙂

Also, ensure you select "Rsync over Remote SSH" on the backup jobs page. 

Message 7 of 9

Solution found: Provider supports SSH shell access on another server with access to smae files as with the ftp server. If I use the shell access server I am able to do rsync with it.

Message 8 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@PeterBremer1 wrote:

Great.  Though I guess we'd have to call it a work-around, I think it will actually work out better for you.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements