× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

SMB Share - Access tab versus Security tab

Surger2
Aspirant

SMB Share - Access tab versus Security tab

Hi all,

On one of our shares of our ReadyNAS 314, we've been experiencing some rights issues, due to rsyncing files from another NAS.
We're currently checking all settings and I have a question about the settings for SMB shares to make sure we got this right.

We have a simple Windows network situation with only a few users who should have full read/write access to the share and all files and folders on the share. These users have been configured and have been added to a group. There are no other users with limited rights, no guest users.

On the "Access" tab for the SMB share settings, this group and it's users have been given full access.
The rights for "Everyone" are disabled and the option "Allow anonymous access" is disabled.

However, I noticed that on the tab Security, the default setting is 'Guest' for "Folder owner" and "Folder group".
The options "Folder Everyone Rights" is also set at "Enabled".
If the option "Reset permission" is used, the above settings are restored.

Should our settings be as follows?
Folder Owner: [a user name belonging to the group]
Folder Group: [the group name]
Folder Owner Rights: [Read/Write]
Folder Group Rights: [Read/Write]
Folder Everyone Rights [Disabled]

Or should we maintain the default settings?
If so, in what scenario would these default file-level access settings cause security issues?

Thanks for your help.
Message 1 of 3
Surger2
Aspirant

Re: SMB Share - Access tab versus Security tab

Nobody?
Message 2 of 3
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: SMB Share - Access tab versus Security tab

Surger2 wrote:

Should our settings be as follows?
Folder Owner: [a user name belonging to the group]
Folder Group: [the group name]
Folder Owner Rights: [Read/Write]
Folder Group Rights: [Read/Write]
Folder Everyone Rights [Disabled]

I would use this. Note that if these are just used for resetting permissions you will probably find that after the changes have been applied it will no longer show these settings. This section is used for one-off resetting of permissions, I think.
Surger2 wrote:

If so, in what scenario would these default file-level access settings cause security issues?

If you get it wrong you may temporarily lose access to the files till you reset the ownership/permissions again with suitable settings.
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements