× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Share File Access Security settings, guest vs admin vs root

Labdoc1
Luminary

Share File Access Security settings, guest vs admin vs root

I realized recently that I have Folder Owner and Group settings as "root"; not default "Guest". I am a novice user (despite using the RNAS for a decade). I suspect the "root" setting is a hangover from an old config in OS4 that I mindlessly copied. Is there any downside to going with the default "guest"?

More detail:

I run a ReadyNAS Pro upgraded to OS 6.9 and stable for years.  I only use the RNAS as the repository for Windows backups (using ShadowProtect) and Win 10 shared files on my home network. SMB and RSYNC are ON. All other network access OFF. There is no remote access and no fancy security settings. Is Guest all that I need?

Murray

Message 1 of 2
StephenB
Guru

Re: Share File Access Security settings, guest vs admin vs root

@Labdoc1 wrote:

Is there any downside to going with the default "guest"?

No.  

You can test it easily enough, just to go the share settings for one share, then look at the file access tab.  You can set the owner/group to guest, and click apply.  After that I suggest using the reset button on the left side of the file access tab, which will make sure all files and subfolders are also reset.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements