× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Speeding up rsync

joe_schmo
Tutor

Speeding up rsync

Am about to upgrade some drives in my readynas and was wondering if there was a way to speed up the process.

I had read that speed_limit_max is the throughput ceiling that applies when there is no other activity, limiting the top speed to 200 KB/sec.

Is this changable/supported? Or is there any other way?

Model: RN31600|ReadyNAS 300 Series 6- Bay
Message 1 of 6
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Speeding up rsync

Hello joe_schmo,

Have you tried firmware 6.8.0?

Regards,

Message 2 of 6
joe_schmo
Tutor

hi JennC -

Sorry, but what would that solve?  I don't see anything in the release notes that would allow me to chagne the dev.raid.speed_limit_max value.

Also, I am pretty sure I can't upgrade the formware while resyncing...

Message 3 of 6
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

It's 200 MB/sec, not 200 KB/sec.  If you're not using all SSDs, then this limit will probably never be hit anyway.  If you are using all SSDs, then the limit likely will be hit; but it's there for a reason, so the resync doesn't eat up all the CPU cycles doing parity calculation.

Message 4 of 6
joe_schmo
Tutor

If it was 200MB/sec, it wouldn't take 65 hours to rsync an 8TB drive.

If I do watch cat /proc/mdstat it shows:  speed=25780K/sec

Message 5 of 6
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

Perfect, then that confirms that changing dev.raid.speed_limit_max will make no difference for you.  It sounds like it's probably doing a reshape rather than a resync.  Reshapes involve a more work than resyncs, and are thus much slower.  The 25 MB/sec you are seeing sounds about right.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements