× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Thousands of zero byte files - can't delete

drakebullet
Aspirant

Thousands of zero byte files - can't delete

Thousands of zero byte files were created on my ReadyNAS Duo during a copy operation and I can't delete them. Searching turned up nothing similar.

- A full backup was running to a USB drive connected to Duo
- Copied a small group of files from desktop (Mac OS Lion)
- Finder stayed active showing copying for several minutes
- I clicked to cancel, but it stayed active for about 20 minutes until I Force-Quit the Finder
- One of the files copied to the ReadyNAS Duo was copied more than 15,700 times at zero bytes
- Selecting the files and clicking Delete just showed the "Deleting Files" box with no activity
- I stopped the backup of the Duo to USB & restarted the Duo
- I deleted 4 of the files. They deleted, but after about 5 minutes.
- I Restarted the Duo and am running a file system scan

ReadyNAS Duo 100 with two 2TB drives available as AFP
Mac Lion OS
Message 1 of 4
OOM-9
NETGEAR Expert

Re: Thousands of zero byte files - can't delete

It sounds like there was a transfer the was setting links and was not able to retain all of the information somewhere...

Once the Duo comes up I would attempt to reset the permissions on the files in the share.
Page 1-41:
http://www.readynas.com/download/docume ... 9Nov07.pdf

Are you only using the ReadyNAS in AFP, or are you able to see it with other protocols(CIFS/Samba)?

Once you reset the permissions, I would try and see if deleting the files works.
Message 2 of 4
drakebullet
Aspirant

Thanks @OOM-9, the scan finished last night with no issues. The files copied likely have permissions issues as I copied they came from a user on my mac mini who was having issues with AFP under Lion (running 4.1.8 on Duo).

I reset the permissions per your suggestion: "Set ownership and permissions for existing files and folders ..."

Deleting a single zero byte file in AFP takes upwards of 7 minutes to complete: Right click --> Move to Trash --> Deleting "<filename>" (Trash window)

Mounting CIFS (or AFP) shows top level directories in the share (Media) immediately. Clicking into a directory (say Movies) takes upwards of 5 minutes to show the files (blank directory window for 5 minutes, then files appear)

All operations take much longer to execute.
Message 3 of 4
drakebullet
Aspirant

Problem seems fixed. I deleted the entire directory (have backup of it eslewhwere). There were 15,999 files (over 15,700 were the zero byte problem files). Deletion took only 30 minutes (much less than the file by file deletion I tried previously).

Access speed to NAS files is back to normal now.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements