× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: WD Red Plus drive WD140EFGX compatibility with ReadyNAS 2304 and ReadyNAS 102

emme-n
Aspirant

WD Red Plus drive WD140EFGX compatibility with ReadyNAS 2304 and ReadyNAS 102

Hello,

I'm writing here because I have to buy a new drive for my ReadyNAS 2304 and I started to think about the WD Red Plus series. I expecially found a good offer for the WD140EFXGX drive, but I'm not sure about its compatibility with my ReadyNAS. I controlled the list in this page but I couldn't find this drive and anyone of the same series in the list, but I found another discussion in this forum where it's clearly written that at least one of these drives works well with ReadyNAS.

Anyone knows anything about the compatibility of the WD140EFXGX (or the whole WDRed Plus series drives) with ReadyNAS 2304?

I use for other purposes another ReadyNAS too, the older 102 model, could be this WD Red Plus drives series compatible whit this old model too?

Thanks for your help.

Marco

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: WD Red Plus drive WD140EFGX compatibility with ReadyNAS 2304 and ReadyNAS 102

The Red Plus series as a whole is compatible - I have several 3 TB, 6 TB, 8 TB, and 10 TB Red Plus in my various ReadyNAS. 

Netgear doesn't update the HCL very often.  Generally any NAS-purposed CMR SATA drive or Enterprise class SATA drive will work. 

@emme-n wrote:

I use for other purposes another ReadyNAS too, the older 102 model, could be this WD Red Plus drives series compatible whit this old model too?

The RN102 can handle 14 TB drives, but it is the least capable OS-6 ReadyNAS - with the slowest processor and least memory.  The sync time will be very slow.  You might consider using jbod instead of RAID-1 - losing RAID protection, but avoiding the slow sync. 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 6

All Replies
Sandshark
Sensei

The entire Red Plus line is compatible with your 2304.  I don't recall the mounting screw configuration on those particular caddies.  But I think four mount holes will line up, and at least two will, which is enough.

Message 2 of 6
StephenB
Guru

The Red Plus series as a whole is compatible - I have several 3 TB, 6 TB, 8 TB, and 10 TB Red Plus in my various ReadyNAS. 

Netgear doesn't update the HCL very often.  Generally any NAS-purposed CMR SATA drive or Enterprise class SATA drive will work. 

@emme-n wrote:

The RN102 can handle 14 TB drives, but it is the least capable OS-6 ReadyNAS - with the slowest processor and least memory.  The sync time will be very slow.  You might consider using jbod instead of RAID-1 - losing RAID protection, but avoiding the slow sync. 

Message 3 of 6
emme-n
Aspirant

Thank you for both answers.

I'll then purchase one of these WD Red Plus drive for my ReadyNAS 2304.

One more thing: in the Netgear website, at the ReadyNAS 2304 presentation page, among the technical details of the device is specified that its maximum capacity is 48 TB; what would happen if I'll insert 4 WD Red Plus WD140EFGX drives (14 TB each)?

Will the space be limited to 48 TB? Will I have (assuming I'll set the JBOD mode) a 56 TB space? Will I experiment any error or what else?

Message 4 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@emme-n wrote:

One more thing: in the Netgear website, at the ReadyNAS 2304 presentation page, among the technical details of the device is specified that its maximum capacity is 48 TB

Netgear specs the ReadyNAS capacity using the largest compatible disks at the time of publication, and almost never goes back and revises the specs. So you can ignore that ceiling.

With 4x14TB, you'd get 56 TB (with no RAID redundancy), or 42 TB with a RAID-5 volume.

If you went with 4x18 TB drives, the RR2304 capacity would actually be 72 TB (with no RAID redundancy), or 54 TB with a RAID-5 volume.

Message 5 of 6
emme-n
Aspirant

Thank you again, your explanation is definitely clear and complete.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements