× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wireless performance on images folder is very slow

Banyan1
Aspirant

Wireless performance on images folder is very slow

Hi

This is my first post, but I've tried to do due diligence and research. Obviously I've not cracked the code yet though or I'd not be posting.

ReadyNAS Duo
RAIDiator 4.1.7
1 drive
Gigabit (cat6 cable) to a Cisco WRVS4400N (very recent firmware)
Jumbo frames OFF
Data journaling OFF
Journaling On
Fast CIFS ON
Fast USB writes OFF
MTU 1500

From a desktop on the same switch I get modest, but acceptable performance. I'm currently uploading an ISO from a USB drive on my desktop to the NAS at 13MB/s

My problem is wireless performance from two 32bit Windows 7 machines. Both have N wireless with connection speed at 130Mbps, WPA. MTU size on these connections has been reduced to 1430.

I have a share with multiple photo folders some with just a handful of files, some with 2000+ jpgs at >2048k. The browse from a wireless machine to these shares is very slow, and the thumbnail draw bugs out after a dozen or so tiles have been completed. It is entirely probable the the issue is causing other problems, but nothing as noticeable as the photo effect. I could live with it otherwise.

After an hour of continuous wired uploading, I do see some network errors.

TCP Retransmits 17
Unrecovered TCP Retransmits 10

Changing cable hasn't made any difference, nor has fixing the link speed from auto to 1000 FULL

During the same period, the router shows

Name: All LAN ports Wireless LAN
Packets Received: 18094415 165065
Packets Sent: 33222362 35082
Bytes Received: 1697015983 31382913
Bytes Sent: 2334534019 46537636
Error Packets Received: 0 0
Dropped Packets Received: 0 0

Any suggestions where I should go next with this?

Banyan.
Message 1 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Wireless performance on images folder is very slow

Have you had a look at Wireless Performance Issues with Vista/Windows7 and the ReadyNAS?

Welcome to the forum!
Message 2 of 8
Banyan1
Aspirant

I've tried most of the pages linked off the forums I think. They generally all are variants on "reduce your MTU size" which I've tried.
Message 3 of 8
peterhugill
Aspirant

I got the same problem you managed to fix this???
Message 4 of 8
Banyan1
Aspirant

Not yet. MTU is reduced, network cables exchanged, I've tried a crossover to a pc but that is a lousy test since the issue is wireless. The performance over wireless is hopelessly slow. I'm going to return it this weekend if I can't figure it.
Message 5 of 8
edanto
Aspirant

Just wondering if you got a fix to this at all?
Message 6 of 8
charx
Aspirant

I have the same issue but when i turn of my wireless-N function in adapter settings the folder browsing of the NAS goes fast again. Unfurtionately you can't stream any HD content and the speed is much slower (54mpbs instead of 300mbps). Did not try the MTU values yet... gonna try it next
Message 7 of 8
edanto
Aspirant

Any new suggestions on how to fix this? Banyan, what did you do in the end?
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements