× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

X-RAID expansion and RAID6

XtheUnknown
Apprentice

X-RAID expansion and RAID6

Greetings!

I have a 6-disk system, configured as RAID-6, with X-RAID turned on. Initally, the unit contained 6x6TB disks.

I am now (gradually) replacing them with 8TB drives.

My undertstanding of X-RAID was that, with RAID-6, the capacity of the two largest drives would be reserved for protection. Therefore in the original configuration the array capacity was 4x6TB=24TB (actually 21.8 with the TB/TiB thing).

I have now upgraded 3 drives from 6TB to 8TB units - and X-RAID has not expanded the array by 2TB as I would have expected.

So:

1) Have I mis-understood how X-RAID works?

2) Do I need to wait until I've replaced a fourth disk (as you normally need 4 disks to create a RAID-6 configuration) before the array will have more capacity (and then will that be 2x2=4TB extra)?

3) Do I need to wait until I've replaced all 6 disks and then switch back to Flex-RAID (presumably gaining 4x2=8TB extra capacity)?

4) Or is there a bug in how X-RAID is working?

Thanks for any replies in advance...

Model: RN626X|ReadyNAS 626X – 6 Bays with Intel® Xeon® Quad-Core Server Processor
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: X-RAID expansion and RAID6

@XtheUnknown

If you are on X-RAID you will have to replace 2 more drives to 8TB in order to expand the volume on RAID6, replacing two of your 6TB to 8TB could have expanded the capacity if you are on RAID5. on Flex-RAID all drives should be replaced first.

right now the extra cap from the 8TB is unused but once 2 more drives are replaced it should go to capacity.

https://kb.netgear.com/23135/How-do-I-vertically-expand-an-X-RAID-2-volume-on-my-ReadyNAS-OS-6-stora...

HTH

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@XtheUnknown

If you are on X-RAID you will have to replace 2 more drives to 8TB in order to expand the volume on RAID6, replacing two of your 6TB to 8TB could have expanded the capacity if you are on RAID5. on Flex-RAID all drives should be replaced first.

right now the extra cap from the 8TB is unused but once 2 more drives are replaced it should go to capacity.

https://kb.netgear.com/23135/How-do-I-vertically-expand-an-X-RAID-2-volume-on-my-ReadyNAS-OS-6-stora...

HTH

Message 2 of 4
XtheUnknown
Apprentice

Thanks - the referenced article makes it clear.

As I have already replaced 3 drives, I assume you meant I need only replace one more to see an increase?

Message 3 of 4
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@XtheUnknown

Yes you are correct 🙂

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation