× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

X-RAID or Flex-RAID for Duo v1?

X-RAID or Flex-RAID for Duo v1?

I've just fitted two blank 2TB identical disks (enterprise grade) to my old Duo v1, it merrily started to install X-RAID (and is apparently going to take 9 hours, ouch.  Would a RAM upgrade speed this up?), I read that one can choose X-RAID or Flex-RAID from RAIDar but I didn't see the option pop up or be available anywhere, the Duo seemed unavailable for several minutes while it did something. 

I'm wondering if X-RAID is the best option as I usually use Flex-RAID with RAID-1 for mirrored drives.  Which is going to be the most efficient and provide the most data security?  I'm never going to upgrade the disks in the Duo again (2TB is the maximum, as I understand it).  If one of the disks fails (either disk) then I want to be able to slot in another 2TB disk and have it resync automatically.  I don't want to lose disk capacity for redundancy purposes if, for instance, RAID-1 means I get to use more of the space available for the same redundancy compared to X-RAID.

I tried looking up answers to this question but found it difficult to find a straight answer.

Model: RND2000|ReadyNAS Duo Chassis only
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
rn_enthusiast
Virtuoso

Re: X-RAID or Flex-RAID for Duo v1?

Hi @jonnymorris98 

With 2 disks, X-RAID will create a RAID-1 as well. So, there is no difference there. In a 2-bay unit RAID-1 would be the recommended raid.

As for the speed... These are old units as you know. The CPU and RAM are very limited. I am not sure if you can upgrade the RAM on these models but even if you could, I am not sure it would make much of a difference given the CPU limitations. I think you just need to wait it out.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
rn_enthusiast
Virtuoso

Hi @jonnymorris98 

With 2 disks, X-RAID will create a RAID-1 as well. So, there is no difference there. In a 2-bay unit RAID-1 would be the recommended raid.

As for the speed... These are old units as you know. The CPU and RAM are very limited. I am not sure if you can upgrade the RAM on these models but even if you could, I am not sure it would make much of a difference given the CPU limitations. I think you just need to wait it out.

Message 2 of 5

Thanks.  Based on your advice I'll leave it as X-RAID.

FWIW The Duo v1 uses a single stick of laptop RAM that can be upgraded to 1GB I believe, although finding 1GB PC3200 CL3 is no easy task, so far I've only seen 512MB sticks on the used market.  Current intended use will be as a media server so will have to see how that goes with the stock 256MB RAM stick.

Message 3 of 5
rn_enthusiast
Virtuoso

The likes of @Sandshark and @StephenB will know a lot more about these kinda upgrades and if other types of RAM sticks can be used, etc. If it is possible to get a cheap enough RAM stick, then I'd say go for it though. It can't hurt anyway.

Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@rn_enthusiast wrote:

The likes of @Sandshark and @StephenB will know a lot more about these kinda upgrades and if other types of RAM sticks can be used, etc. If it is possible to get a cheap enough RAM stick, then I'd say go for it though. I can't hurt anyway.

There was some information this in the old readynas forum, and I have posted a wayback link in another thread. 

The sparc systems (Duo and NV+) are finicky about what memory they accept.  One user here had success with this: https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-1x1GB-2700-Laptop-Memory/dp/B0007OWN9K - but a second user did not.  https://community.netgear.com/t5/New-ReadyNAS-Users-General/Duo-V1-Memory-Upgrade-Recommended-module...

My own Duo has just the stock memory - it is only a secondary backup, basically running because it still works.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements