× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

access denied \ Macrium Reflect backing up to share after setting up security. ReadyNAS 202 fw 6.7.2

danielwolfe
Aspirant

access denied \ Macrium Reflect backing up to share after setting up security. ReadyNAS 202 fw 6.7.2

Getting acccess denied from NAS share on scheduled backups only.  Working with Reflect support as well but wanted to get feedback here.  If I run my job manually, it succeeds, no problem.  If I let it run on its own schedule it fails with access denied from all 4 users set to get access from the share.

My nas is on the domain, i'm using active directory authentication, I've given the BackupUser accounts full read/write to the share.  I'm running the "network access" credentials as "BackupUser" ( see above ).  What is the "File Access" portion?  I can't give read/write to anything except the 3 defaults.  I can give "Read" to things.  "Everyone" is given read/write here but it doesn't seem to make a difference.  What the proper settings for what I'm trying to do? Can someone send a screenshot of the exact settings I need to put in to allow access from a specific active directory user? 

Message 1 of 10
danielwolfe
Aspirant

Re: access denied \ Macrium Reflect backing up to share after setting up security. ReadyNAS 202 fw 6

Macrium Support is now blaming the security on the NAS.  I need help. 

Message 2 of 10
StephenB
Guru

Re: access denied \ Macrium Reflect backing up to share after setting up security. ReadyNAS 202 fw 6

If "everyone" has read/write access anyway, then perhaps try going to the "file access" tab for each share - clicking on the "reset" control for each.

Message 3 of 10
danielwolfe
Aspirant

They don't - they did but now I'm trying to implement actual security.  I just gave access to the backup user accounts under File access and got the same response from the backup software. 

Message 4 of 10
Sandshark
Sensei

This sounds like a problem with the login account on the PC.  When you run it manually, you are using your own PC login.  When it runs automatically, it most likely uses a system login.  How that affects Macrium Reflect, which you have given a set of credentials for the NAS, I cannot say.  Perhaps it's not actually using them for the interacive session if you already have credentials in the Windows Credentials Manager for the NAS.  Or the automated process user account is not able to read them from where they are stored.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any way to get the NAS to tell you who tried and failed to log in.  Knowing that could really help.

Message 5 of 10
StephenB
Guru

smbd.log in the log zip file should tell you this.

Message 6 of 10
danielwolfe
Aspirant

@StephenB@Sandshark- Thank you to both of you.  I believe you have narrowed down my problem.  Found this in the log file:

[2017/06/06 08:03:57.441340,  2] ../source3/auth/auth.c:315(auth_check_ntlm_password)
  check_ntlm_password:  Authentication for user [MacriumService] -> [MacriumService] FAILED with error NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER

Like a thousand times for all my attempted backups.  I'm going to dig and see how I change this either on the server or in Macrium. 

Message 7 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@danielwolfe wrote:

Found this in the log file:

[2017/06/06 08:03:57.441340,  2] ../source3/auth/auth.c:315(auth_check_ntlm_password)
  check_ntlm_password:  Authentication for user [MacriumService] -> [MacriumService] FAILED with error NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER

Start by creating a local account on the NAS called MacriumService.  Set the password to match whatever Reflect is using.

Then you'll need to add in appropriate permissions, etc.

Message 8 of 10
Sandshark
Sensei

I think you have the clue you need, and I learned something, too.  Somebody really needs to compile a "ReadyNAS Logs for Dummies" desription.  There is a lot of good information hidden in there with no decoder ring to help the user.  What I know I've either stumbled on or gotten piecemeal from here.

Message 9 of 10
danielwolfe
Aspirant

Thanks guys, that was the problem.  There's a place in Macrium under Other Tasks - Edit Default - Schedule - "Schedule User"

I had the correct usernames everywhere but here. 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements