× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

btrfs corruption

bhsmith
Aspirant

btrfs corruption

I had to reboot my system today and when it came backup it was missing the volumes.  I had tried everything I could find in the forums but ended up doing a repair.  All my files came back and I thought I was in good shape.  But I needed to reboot the system again and this time I received a btrfs_root_node+38 on the display and the unit failed to boot.  I ended up ejecting 3 of the disks and rebooting.  The system came back but no volumes.  I tried the repair again but it couldn't find the root tree.  So,

I am able to do a btrfs restore and I do get files back but I was wondering if there is a simple btrfs command that will bring the system back.  Otherwise, I'll spend some time getting the files off that I don't have in my last backup.  Thanks in advance for any help.

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: btrfs corruption

What do you mean by you did a repair? What did you do?

With data recovery attempts you do need to be careful and you do risk making things worse trying to repair things yourself especially if you don't know whether what you are doing is the right way to proceed. Destructive processes can permanently prevent data recovery from being successful.

If you really want to experiment then a prudent step can be to clone the disks (label order) onto new disks first using a tool designed to handle cloning failing disks. That way if you mess things up you've still got another set of disks that can be worked on.

Attempting to fix things yourself may eliminate any chance of professional help being able to recover data.

If btrfs restore is working it's probably best to proceed with that with this proviso: make sure you're not restoring the files to the same volume you are attempting to recover files from. If you restore to the same volume you'll be overwting some data you need to successfully restore your files. So the destination for btrfs restore could be e.g. a USB disk.

Once it's complete you'd then need to check what's been recovered to see if the data is good or not.

Message 2 of 5
bhsmith
Aspirant

The repair was btrfsck --repair

I am getting all of my files and so far they are 100% good. I am comparing them to my backups and just restoring the files I need on a USB backup drive.

What got me into all this trouble was I had a backup on another USB drive and I was trying to save time by compying those files over to the /data dir without using windows. I had ssh'ed into the NAS and was doing a cp to my /data dir.  I suddenly received read only file system messages and then everything was corrupted.  So my question is after I get the files I want on the USB drive and reset the ReadyNas to factory defaults.  How do I get my 10 TB of data back onto the NAS without having to go through windows which is painfully slow?  I am afraid to do the cp again as that my corrupt it again.

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Using cp shouldn't have corrupted the data volume.  You probably should double-check the SMART stats in the log zip file.

Another option is to organize the data on the USB drives into folders, and copy them onto the data volume using the built-in backup job facility. You can do this folder-by-folder (editing the backup job after each one completes).

Message 4 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It is possible that the repair operation you ran may do additional damage. It’s best to recover what you can using btrfs restore before doing potentially destructive repair operations. See e.g. https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Btrfsck

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements