× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: cp cannot stat input/output error during backup to USB

Lamda
Aspirant

cp cannot stat input/output error during backup to USB

I am reaching out to the community as I have a persistent issue with my backup job that I cannot troubleshoot further.  There is little I could find through googling around as well...

I have attached a USB drive on the rear USB port of my ReadyNAS Pro Pioneer Edition, that is formatted on EXT4 (through the ReadyNAS Frontview USB Storage panel).

I have then proceeded to create a full backup job on my entire volume.  This kind of backup I was able to run in the past without problems/errors. This time around though I get a long list of "cp: cannot stat" error messages on individual files/folders and at the end of each error message, it says "input/output error".

The details of my machine:

Model:ReadyNAS Pro Pioneer Edition [X-RAID2]
Serial: 
Firmware:RAIDiator 4.2.28 
Memory:1024 MB [4-5-5-15 DDR2]
IPv4 address: 1:???.???.???.??
IPv4 address: 2:Not Connected
Volume C:Online, X-RAID2, 2 disks, 77% of 1846 GB used

Could someone please explain what exactly this error means and how I can eliminate it?

Model: RNDP600E (ReadyNAS Pro Pioneer Edition)|ReadyNAS Pro Pioneer Edition|EOL
Message 1 of 5
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Lamda,

Can you still access and write to the USB disk when it is mounted straight to a computer?

Regards,

Message 2 of 5
Lamda
Aspirant

Hi there,

Sorry for the very late reply - I've been very very busy over the last months.

I tried creating a new folder in my USB disk volume, directly from Finder on my Mac.  It actually worked and the new folder was created.  Later on, I tried to delete it and that worked also.

If am wondering whether this has to do with the constant failure of the Volume Consistency Check task, that I have enabled to run regularly.  It is rather sluggist (old Max, 4GBs of RAM...).  Why do I get those every single time I invoke the Volume Consistency Check and is there a way I can eliminate them?

Thanks,

L.

Message 3 of 5
Lamda
Aspirant

Hello,

is there perhaps anyone that can help with my query in this thread?  The problem still persists and I can't really work out why that happens...

Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Have you checked the SMART status of the internal disk?  You can post the stats here if you aren't sure how to interpret them.

Do you have access to a windows PC?  If so, you can try powering down the NAS, removing the disk and testing it in a windows PC with WDC's lifeguard tool.  You can test the USB drive that way also (using seatools for seagate drives).

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements