× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: rsync permissions update every run.

Radjin
Aspirant

rsync permissions update every run.

I use rsync to mirror my media library to my readyNAS 316 from my Mac mini. It's a 14TB library so examples below will only show a few lines.

I run the following: 

rsync -aPvui --delete-during --delete-excluded --ignore-errors --exclude={'.Trashes*/','.fsev*/','.DS_*','.Spotlight*/','Automatically Add*/','Downloads*/'} /Volumes/Media\ Drive/ /Volumes/NAS2_Media_Server/Backup/Media --log-file=/Users/CXMS/Desktop/rsync_log2

I get no errors and so far it has done as expected with one exception; every run it indicates an update to the permissions of existing files.  Nothing has changed on the original file. 

Examples:

Run 1: 

26350 files to consider

.d...p... ./

.f...p... .Media Preferences.plist

.d...p... Audiobooks/

.d...p... Audiobooks/Diana Gabaldon/

.f...p... Audiobooks/Diana Gabaldon/01 Outlander_ Outlander, Book 1 (Unabridged) Part 1.m4b

Run 2:

26350 files to consider

.d...p... ./

.f...p... .Media Preferences.plist

.d...p... Audiobooks/

.d...p... Audiobooks/Diana Gabaldon/

.f...p... Audiobooks/Diana Gabaldon/01 Outlander_ Outlander, Book 1 (Unabridged) Part 1.m4b

As you can see both runs are identical.

Any suggestions as to why it updates the permissions every run?

Thank you in advance for suggestions.

Radjin~

Model: RN31600|ReadyNAS 300 Series 6- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
Radjin
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

Try:

rsync -aPvuin --delete-during --delete-excluded --ignore-errors --exclude={'*.Trashes*','*.fsev*','*.DS_*','*.Spotlight*','*Automatically Add*','*Downloads*'} /Volumes/Media\ Drive/ rsync://admin@10.0.1.20:/data/NAS1_Media_Server/Backup/media

rsync://admin@10.0.1.20:/NAS1_Media_Server/Backup/media

Changing to this seems to work:

I am going to let it run and move some date to see what happens.

Thank you.

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 16

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Are you running this on the Mac? 

It looks like both source and destination are local - if so, the NAS volume is likely mapped and shared with SMB. If that's the case, Samba might be changing the permissions.

You could try enabling rsync on the NAS backup share and using admin@nas-ip-address:/Backup/media as the destination

Message 2 of 16
Radjin
Aspirant

Yes, this runs on a Mac and the NAS share is mapped as a local drive with SMB.

I can call rsync on the NAS directly with the IP address?
Would the syntax be:

user: password@IP_Address/Share

Or would I need to get a key from the NAS to avoid manually entering a password?

Message 3 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@Radjin wrote:

Yes (though technically rsync on the Mac is connecting to the rsync server in the NAS).

@Radjin wrote:

Would the syntax be

No (at least not on linux).  Try the command first using the syntax I gave you, and see if it solves your problem.  Note that you don't have to enable password protection on the destination share (look at the rsync network settings for the share).  So you might not need to enter the password at all.  Also, I think the default rsync access is read-only, so you do need to go the the rsync share settings and change that anyway.

If you do want to use password protection, you can use the --password-file option (if that exists on the Mac version).

Message 4 of 16
Radjin
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

@Radjin wrote:

Yes (though technically rsync on the Mac is connecting to the rsync server in the NAS).

@Radjin wrote:

Would the syntax be

No (at least not on linux).  Try the command first using the syntax I gave you, and see if it solves your problem.  Note that you don't have to enable password protection on the destination share (look at the rsync network settings for the share).  So you might not need to enter the password at all.  Also, I think the default rsync access is read-only, so you do need to go the the rsync share settings and change that anyway.

If you do want to use password protection, you can use the --password-file option (if that exists on the Mac version).

I checked and rsync was on for the share. I had to enable ssh as well. It asked for my password because the share has one, I entered it and received the following: 

rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [sender]
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12)

Message 5 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@Radjin wrote:

I checked and rsync was on for the share. I had to enable ssh as well. It asked for my password because the share has one, I entered it and received the following: 

You don't need ssh for this - you just run rsync on the Mac with the change to the destination.  Not sure what you mean by the "share has one".  Are you saying that rsync is enabled as read/write for the share and it was already set up for password protection?  Maybe post a screenshot of the network access tab for rsync (share settings)?

Message 6 of 16
Radjin
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

@Radjin wrote:

You don't need ssh for this - you just run rsync on the Mac with the change to the destination.  Not sure what you mean by the "share has one".  Are you saying that rsync is enabled as read/write for the share and it was already set up for password protection?  Maybe post a screenshot of the network access tab for rsync (share settings)?

Attached is a screen shot.

The share is already password protected.

Message 7 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@Radjin wrote:

Your screen shot says it's not. "Enable Password Protection" is not checked, and you haven't added any names/passwords to the password list.  

What is the volume name?

What command line are you using?

Looking back, the destination path does need to include the volume name (/data if you are using XRAID).  

Message 8 of 16
Radjin
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

@Radjin wrote:

Your screen shot says it's not. "Enable Password Protection" is not checked, and you haven't added any names/passwords to the password list.  

What is the volume name?

What command line are you using?

Looking back, the destination path does need to include the volume name (/data if you are using XRAID).  

No, the rsync settings has no password, but the share itself is password protected. If that matters.

Oh, yeah, I forgot the data/ too.  Let me try it...

Message 9 of 16
Radjin
Aspirant

I tried it with:

rsync -aPvuin --delete-during --delete-excluded --ignore-errors --exclude={'*.Trashes*','*.fsev*','*.DS_*','*.Spotlight*','*Automatically Add*','*Downloads*'} /Volumes/Media\ Drive/ admin@10.0.1.20:/data/NAS1_Media_Server/Backup/media

and 

rsync -aPvuin --delete-during --delete-excluded --ignore-errors --exclude={'*.Trashes*','*.fsev*','*.DS_*','*.Spotlight*','*Automatically Add*','*Downloads*'} /Volumes/Media\ Drive/ admin@10.0.1.20:/data/Backup/media

The difference is the Share name: NAS1_Media_Server

I still get:

ssh: connect to host 10.0.1.20 port 22: Connection refused
Message 10 of 16
StephenB
Guru

Try:

rsync -aPvuin --delete-during --delete-excluded --ignore-errors --exclude={'*.Trashes*','*.fsev*','*.DS_*','*.Spotlight*','*Automatically Add*','*Downloads*'} /Volumes/Media\ Drive/ rsync://admin@10.0.1.20:/data/NAS1_Media_Server/Backup/media

Message 11 of 16
Radjin
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

Try:

Thank you.

Message 12 of 16
Radjin
Aspirant

@Radjin wrote:

@StephenB wrote:

Try:

Thank you.

Using the above worked perfectly with the small change I made just below that.  I'm amazed at the speed difference. I can only guess it's due to actually connecting to the rsync server rather having one machine scanning through a SMB connection.  

Thanks for all your help.

Message 13 of 16
StephenB
Guru

I'm glad I was able to help.

FWIW, the rsync: bit was needed because rsync defaults to running rsync-over-ssh when you have a remote source or destination.  That ensures the network connection is encrypted/secure, but isn't necessary when you are running on a home network.  Normally I use rsync backup jobs in the NAS to back up over the network, and had forgotten that.

Message 14 of 16
Radjin
Aspirant

Have you ever accessed the terminal through ssh and ran rsync that way?  Looking at posts here it looks like the GUI does not always use the most efficient options.

Message 15 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@Radjin wrote:

Have you ever accessed the terminal through ssh and ran rsync that way?  Looking at posts here it looks like the GUI does not always use the most efficient options.

Not recently.  I use rsync backup jobs to for my NAS to NAS backups. They run on a schedule, which is more convenient (and consistent) then running them manually.

My PC backup jobs use Acronis TrueImage (I use Windows, not MacOS).  Desktops are scheduled (by Acronis); I do back up the laptops manually.

@Radjin wrote:

Looking at posts here it looks like the GUI does not always use the most efficient options.

What specific options you are thinking of?

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements