× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

virtualbox 5.2 on ReadyNas 6.9.0

loco42
Aspirant

virtualbox 5.2 on ReadyNas 6.9.0

Hi All,

since 2 months my RN3138 was running fine with firmware 6.8.0 and virtualbox-4.3 which I installed based on some threads here.  Thanks for that.

For other reasons I have to upgrade to a newer firmware.  So my question is: can I install the latest virtualbox version 5.2 on the latest ReadyNas version 6.9.0 or are there some dependencies concerns or alike?

Anyone running virtualbox 5.2 yet or what is the highest combination of firmware and vb that you can recommend.

Thanks a lot in advance

el Loco

Model: RN3138|ReadyNAS 3138 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
loco42
Aspirant

Re: virtualbox 5.2 on ReadyNas 6.9.0

answering my own question:

I just managed to install VirtualBox 5.1.32 on ReadyNAS 6.9.2 based on these instructions:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Current-NETGEAR-and-Partners/Help-and-questions-on-Virtualbox-insta...

VirtualBox 5.2.x did not work but 5.1. is fine for me.

More or less the only change I had to make was adding 

VBOXWEB_AUTH_LIBRARY=null

to /etc/default/virtualbox, since the following default approach was not working.   

sudo VBoxManage setproperty websrvauthlibrary null 
Of course you need to download the jessie version for 6.9.2 instead of wheezy as described in the link.
You may check your debin version with
cat /etc/debian_version 
Happy hacking...

View solution in original post

Model: RN3138|ReadyNAS 3138 Series 4-Bay
Message 2 of 2

All Replies
loco42
Aspirant

Re: virtualbox 5.2 on ReadyNas 6.9.0

answering my own question:

I just managed to install VirtualBox 5.1.32 on ReadyNAS 6.9.2 based on these instructions:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Current-NETGEAR-and-Partners/Help-and-questions-on-Virtualbox-insta...

VirtualBox 5.2.x did not work but 5.1. is fine for me.

More or less the only change I had to make was adding 

VBOXWEB_AUTH_LIBRARY=null

to /etc/default/virtualbox, since the following default approach was not working.   

sudo VBoxManage setproperty websrvauthlibrary null 
Of course you need to download the jessie version for 6.9.2 instead of wheezy as described in the link.
You may check your debin version with
cat /etc/debian_version 
Happy hacking...

Model: RN3138|ReadyNAS 3138 Series 4-Bay
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements