× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: After firmware update to 6.9.0 my backup software can't work properly over SMB

Spannerthumbs
Aspirant

Re: After firmware update to 6.9.0 my backup software can't work properly over SMB

Apologies for hijacking this topic but I have seen your name around a lot in regard to many things Readynas and particularly LMS.

Something broke my LMS and I tried reinstalling but it wasnt a S-P build and though it seemed to install ok when i tried to use it i got a "site cant be reached" message. I have deinstalled from Web GUI and tried to reinstall from S-P dropbox link but nothing seems to work. I suspect I have left some of old files around or installed some incompatible files that are now grumbling silently. Maybe I manually need to delete via SSH or similar but I've no idea how to do that and don't want to break things further. 

Would be very grateful for any advice.

Regards

Rob

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 26 of 52
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

For anyone have issues with Veeam, here's the deal.

6.9.0 included an SMB update.  This update included support for a new FSCTL_DUPLICATE_EXTENTS_TO_FILE capability.  This great new feature allows Windows to directly ask the NAS to clone a portion of an existing file, instantaneously and without consuming any extra space.

So Veeam now notices this new capability, and for some reason incorrectly assumes that the ReadyNAS must also support another capability, FSCTL_SET_INTEGRITY_INFORMATION.  But this has not been implemented, and is thus unsupported.

Then Veeam calls FSCTL_SET_INTEGRITY_INFORMATION, and we reply that it's not supported.  At that point Veeam errors out with the "Error: Incorrect function. Agent failed to process method {ReFs.SetFileIntegrity}" message.

So this really appears to be a Veeam bug, not a ReadyNAS bug.  We could of course disable FSCTL_DUPLICATE_EXTENTS_TO_FILE to work around that bug, but then we'd lose a really nice feature.  If anyone is in contact with Veeam at this point, feel free to pass along this information.

Message 27 of 52
ltailby
Initiate

Thanks for the explanation, I have taken this off to Veeam and opened a case with them. The explanation will help a lot.

Model: RN626X | ReadyNAS 626X 6-Bay with Intel® Xeon® Quad-Core Server Processor
Message 28 of 52
evan2
NETGEAR Expert

Thanks for @Skywalker information.

Message 29 of 52
Edouard
Tutor

Let not jumps to defend Netgear, my problem is not with Veeam, I use Windows/NAS (Timestamp) and my backup got stuck "in progress". I reverted the firmware to 6.8.1 and it all work perfectly.

The issue is with Netgear that say don't downgrade the firmware but is not coming with 6.10 to fix the issue.

If we buy NAS drive for backup, we cannot afford weeks with NO backup just because Netgear is thinking about it.

Message 30 of 52
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Edouard users have posted with multiple issues and in the same thread. This does make it a bit confusing.

Some are using 3rd party software e.g. Veeam, and others are using the in-built backup jobs.

The issue you described with backup jobs being stuck in progress is fixed by the hot-fix for 6.9.0. Within about 15 minutes of a system running 6.9.0 booting up or a week if already running 6.9.0 the hot-fix would be installed automatically in the background. The hot-fix will also be rolled into the next firmware release 6.9.1.

When we do a major upgrade we may make changes that are not designed with a possible firmware downgrade in mind. If we always made changes with downgrade support that would severely constrain what changes we could make.

Once 6.10 is released, 6.9 will become a LTS series. At that point 6.9 will no longer get new features, but will get critical bug & security fixes. You may find that running firmware from a LTS series suits your needs.

Message 31 of 52
knKgLhr
Star

Thanks for your detailed reply, @Skywalker

I've passed your post to the Veeam support, they passed it to developers for the investigation.

Message 32 of 52
DimaP
Tutor

Hi folks,

Veeam RnD on the wire. We are investigating this issue and will propose a fix soon. Thank you for reporting this problem to our support team. I’ll update this thread as soon as we have anything to share. Stay tuned.

Dima P.

Message 33 of 52
cpu8088
Virtuoso

the hot fix for 6.9.0 is it automatic or i can download from somewhere?

Message 34 of 52
atb48
Guide

The hot-fix is automatic but may take time to happen.  If you reboot the device then the hot-fix should download and be applied fairly quickly (15 minutes?). 

The reported firmware will still show as 6.9.0!  However if you downlog the system log files and check out the packages.log file within the zip, you should find the "readynasos" file version to be 6.9.0+4 (the current latest hot-fix as of 3rd Nov).

Message 35 of 52
lartx
Initiate

Hello,

I'm using Veeam agent for Windows v2.0.0.700 with a RN31400 and I had the same problem :

Error: Incorrect function. Agent failed to process method {ReFs.SetFileIntegrity}.

I contacted the Veeam support and 3 minutes later got this answer that fixed the problem :

Thank you for contacting Veeam Support. My name is Alex and I'll be assisting you in resolving this issue.  
The issue is that Netgear released a new firmware with fast close but they do not support integrity streams that cause the issue for Agent.

Please perform the following steps:

1. Download the fix from the FTP: (redacted at Veeam's request)
2. Stop Veeam Agent Service
3. Copy the file from the archive to the following folder: C:\Program Files\Veeam\Endpoint Backup
4. Start the service

Kind regards, 
Veeam Support.
Message 36 of 52
DimaP
Tutor

Hi folks,

QA team has prepared the private fix for the described problem. If you are face similar symptoms, please contact our support team on the first place. Support is free and you can submit the case directly from Veeam Agent for Windows UI (Control Panel > Support > Technical support)

I do not recommend using the link from lartx. The reason is simple: this is fix is private and infrastructure specific, so it’s highly recommend get a confirmation from our support team prior installing it.

lartx, kindly, remove the link from your post due to mentioned reasons. Thank you in advance.

Dima P.

Message 37 of 52
StephenB
Guru

@DimaP wrote:

lartx, kindly, remove the link from your post due to mentioned reasons. Thank you in advance.

@DimaP, I've redacted lartx's link at your request.

Message 38 of 52
knKgLhr
Star

Hey everyone.

I confirm Veeam produced a fix which helped in my case, now I'm using latest firmware on Netgear's ReadyNAS with Veeam Agent and everything works fine.

Thanks to both Netgear and Veeam for the quick resolution of the issue!

Message 39 of 52
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Checking today, 6.8.1 is availble as the latest arm release, not 6.9.0 so it's either been withdrawn or is only regionally availble.

Message 40 of 52
Vinz
Aspirant

Maybe it's regional, I still get the "New frimware version available" to update to 6.9.0

-Eastern Canada

Message 41 of 52
Kimera
Guide

@Vinz: the same here (Central Europe), ReadyNAS OS 6.9.0 is still the latest GA software release available.

Message 42 of 52
kohdee
NETGEAR Expert

Hello,

We reached out to Veeam and Veeam wants us to have you contact their support for the fix. The fix is in their software.

Message 43 of 52
StephenB
Guru

@Bubbason wrote:

Checking today, 6.8.1 is availble as the latest arm release, not 6.9.0 so it's either been withdrawn or is only regionally availble.

Not true.  If it were withdrawn, the links here would fail (and they don't): https://kb.netgear.com/000049516/ReadyNAS-OS-6-Software-Version-6-9-0

There could an issue with the update server distribution, but 6.9.0 is definitely the latest for all OS 6 platforms world-wide.

Message 44 of 52
WingDog
Guide

Hello.

I have couple RND Devices w/o internet connection manually updated to 6.9.0.

how to get hotfix for SMB access?

Message 45 of 52
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

You can download 6.9.1 Beta 1 from this forum, which includes all 6.9.0 hot-fixes in addition to some other fixes mentioned in the changelog.

If you'd prefer the 6.9.0 hot-fix package, please state if you need it for ARM or x86.

Message 46 of 52
WingDog
Guide

ok.

thank you.

Message 47 of 52
cksolutions
Aspirant

Tried the fix 6.9.1 however still getting error. 

Error: 

11/30/2017 10:33:30 PM :: Processing Windows 2012 Error: Incorrect function.
Agent failed to process method {ReFs.SetFileIntegrity}.

Any other throughts?

Model: RN212D23|ReadyNAS 212 Series 2-Bay
Message 48 of 52
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

Read up a few posts, specifically post #43.

Message 49 of 52
cksolutions
Aspirant

Hi skywalker, yes did read that and unless I read it wrong says its an issue with NAS and to try 6.9.1 hot-fix. 

Am I getting this wrong?

Message 50 of 52
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements