× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS NV+ Data Migration

robmorris77
Aspirant

ReadyNAS NV+ Data Migration

Further to my initial thread https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/Readynas-nv-reset-battery/m-p/1034087/highlight...

Once I'm in a position to can anyone please advise on the following ?

Using this method with my 3x ReadyNAS NV+'s

http://www.rnasguide.com/2011/03/26/migrating-your-disks-from-one-readynas-to-another-readynas-on-th...

Can I use my one currently working ReadyNAS NV+ to migrate the data from the each of the 3 in turn to my new RN31400's ?

Thanks in advance for any help and advice

Rob

Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS NV+ Data Migration

You should be to migrate from the NV+ left standing.

After you get the new NAS running, create and run backup jobs for each share on the existing NV+.  I generally run the backups on the destination machine, but it doesn't really matter.

Assuming all the NV+ are using the same firmware, then the next step is to powerdown the NV+, and insert the disks from one of the dead machines into the same slots, and then boot it up.  Then create/run backup jobs for those shares.  Repeat until done...

Owner/group defaults have different UID/GIDs on OS6, so you should reset share permissions on the target when you are done.

If you use home shares, those are a bit more complicated.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 11

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

You should be to migrate from the NV+ left standing.

After you get the new NAS running, create and run backup jobs for each share on the existing NV+.  I generally run the backups on the destination machine, but it doesn't really matter.

Assuming all the NV+ are using the same firmware, then the next step is to powerdown the NV+, and insert the disks from one of the dead machines into the same slots, and then boot it up.  Then create/run backup jobs for those shares.  Repeat until done...

Owner/group defaults have different UID/GIDs on OS6, so you should reset share permissions on the target when you are done.

If you use home shares, those are a bit more complicated.

Message 2 of 11
robmorris77
Aspirant

Hi,

Thanks for the info', hopefully it will all be straight forward tho' a touch time consuming.

I'll probably configure the 2x new NAS's in a similar manner to the way the old ones were, only 2 users overall anyway at the moment, so easy to replicate.

Then just do a straight copy of the data over.

Fingers crossed it is a case of being just as easy as said, these things tend to be "easier said than done" 😞

Thanks !

Message 3 of 11
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi robmorris77,

Just a piece of advice, you may also want to consider using local rsync backup (which is faster) between your systems to save time in copying your data.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@BrianL2 wrote:

Hi robmorris77,

Just a piece of advice, you may also want to consider using local rsync backup (which is faster) between your systems to save time in copying your data.

Using NAS backup jobs to copy each share is a good approach.  NFS or CIFS would likely be faster than rsync (since rsync requires more compute, and the NV+ CPU isn't very fast).  But I think rsync is more robust, so I would use that anyway.

It's a good idea to reset permissions on each share on the new NAS after the copy (as the UID/GIDs on the NV+ won't match the new NAS).

Message 5 of 11
robmorris77
Aspirant

Thanks everyone.

Presently migrating data from the one working NV+ to one of the RN314's ....'bout 3.5TB so it's taking some time Smiley Surprised

Hopefully should be in a position to transplant the first set of HDD's from one of the 'deadites' sometime tomorrow, I'll update as I go.

But thank you again everyone for your assistance.

Message 6 of 11
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi robmorris77,

You're welcome. Just update this thread and close it as resolve once the migration of data is done.

Let us know if you have other questions.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 7 of 11
robmorris77
Aspirant

Hi everyone,

Just a quick update ....

1st fully working NAS = all data migrated successfully.

2nd dead NAS all checked and all data migrated successfully.

3rd dead NAS presently resync'ing the volume with 4TB to migrate over the next few days.

So touch wood all's well that end's well.

I'll update the ticket to close/resolve it once the migration's all complete.

Thanks again !

Message 8 of 11
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi robmorris77,

Thanks for the update. I am hopeful that this will be completed soon.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 9 of 11
robmorris77
Aspirant

Hi - to update and resolve/close this thread.

All data on my 3x old NV+'s migrated to my new RN314's, so the process listed in my first post worked fine, luckily all 3 of the NV+'s had the same firmware.

In the end I just used WinRoboiCopy on a PC to copy the data, managed to shift about 2TB's a day

So phew all data availble, none missing !

Thanks again everyone !

Message 10 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@robmorris77 wrote:

All data on my 3x old NV+'s migrated to my new RN314's, so the process listed in my first post worked fine, luckily all 3 of the NV+'s had the same firmware.

Good to hear, thx for posting back.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements