× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

A6200 - 802.11ac WiFi USB Adapter - Dual Ba - I have started to receive a runtime error

Cam22
Tutor

A6200 - 802.11ac WiFi USB Adapter - Dual Ba - I have started to receive a runtime error

I had a windows 10 update in the last few days. But only received the attached message today.

Any solutions?

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: A6200 - 802.11ac WiFi USB Adapter - Dual Ba - I have started to receive a runtime error

Have you tried uninstalling the program and driver and then reinstalling?

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Re: A6200 - 802.11ac WiFi USB Adapter - Dual Ba - I have started to receive a runtime error

Have you tried uninstalling the program and driver and then reinstalling?

Message 2 of 6
FlyByGal
Aspirant

I am on  Windows 11 on a newer pc.

I have this same issue now, daily (or at each login if more than one login daily).  Noting it only started for me roughly 3  days ago also.

This pops up in a tiny window center of my (dual) primary monitor, at every start-up at the point that it (seems) I have loaded all to a passive desktop.  It asks me to click [OK] and when I do, I do not lose my WIFI internet, not even a hiccup in speed. For 12+ hours a day.

I run Netgear Genie and I can reproduce this pop-up randomly throughout the day by (re) opening Netgear Genie (Version 1.0.0.35) and choosing Other > Software Update:  [Check] button. So I suspect that Netgear Genie is auto-checking for an update at boot-up and triggering the error.

Pop-up:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Program: C:\Program Files [x84)\NETGEAR\A6200\A6200.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.

Please contact the application's support team for more information.  

This lead me to look to see if Netgear Genie had an update, and I found out no more updates are coming.  There is a replacement app, and if my gear isn't supported, then I can still use the Netgear Genie.  My A6200 is not supported by the new app.  

https://kb.netgear.com/000060889/Notice-NETGEAR-Genie-App-Will-No-Longer-Be-Updated

I may be able to keep using Netgear Genie per the notice. But there is no way to turn off that auto-check for updates at boot.  Therefore, if it is the checking for updates causing the error, I guess I better get used to seeing and closing the error pop-up at login. But Netgear Genie's  seems to always connect me fully to my network first, and then checks for updates > errors/closes.

And if this notice was posted April 2019, then wow two+ years later I feel fortunate I guess it has not errored out until now. 

Given what the app manages, it is unclear if its not being updated (and no replacement app available) and my still using it with the A6200 exposes me to a degree of security risk as every day (of the past 2+ years and future) passes?  My A6200 will not connect to my network without Netgear Genie running and connecting it.  If a security risk, and I require it to connect the A6200 to my Wifi, then it feels like as far back as April 2019 I should have somehow known to buy another Wifi Adapter?  Until three days ago, I have run this app and it has checked for updates without error.  I now wish it had triggered April 2019, so I could have decided if I felt at more risk back then.

Sharing only.  Wishing all well!

Message 3 of 6
schumaku
Guru

Uninstall the old driver & utilities. Unplug the USB stick. INstall only the A6200-standalone-V1.0.0.35 drover kit. Configure the adapter using the Windows native services only, don't use the Netgear utilities.

Message 4 of 6

@Cam22 wrote:

I had a windows 10 update in the last few days. But only received the attached message today.

Any solutions?

One recent victim of adapter crashes found that the fix was to update their graphics drivers.

Solved: Re: netgear A7000 installation software causing co... - NETGEAR Communities

This is not as mad as it sounds given the importance of graphics drivers these days.

Message 5 of 6
Cam22
Tutor

Thanks.

Nice and simple and it worked.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7