× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

A7000 Wireless USB Adapter Not getting speeds

Taz1
Follower

A7000 Wireless USB Adapter Not getting speeds

Hello Everyone,

I am having slight issues getting my desired 5Ghz speeds on my Wireless adapter and having it to reach higher speeds, which is currently capping at 220-250mbps standing 1 foot away from the router. Router is a netgear 6400 1750 AC router. I have gigabit internet and have run various tests with multiple devices. 

With a Lenovo y720 laptop running windows 10, connected to the 5ghz band standing 1 foot away from the router i am getting speeds averaging 650 mbps on the internal wireless card. When I am using the A7000 adapter I am getting an average of 215mbps. No other devices attached. 

On a macbook pro, same physical location, I am averaging similar speeds of 600+ on 5ghz, yet the A7000 is getting only upto 220mbps. 

Iphone 8 gets upto 630 mbps on 5Ghz. 

I know the router is putting out the speeds, I have already checked through the QOS, turning it off and on and running the tests, with not much variance in results. Firmware for the adapter is upto date.  Will be primarily using the A7000 for my desktop which I will not be able to run a LAN cable to.

Is anyone else getting capped wireless speeds using the A7000? I know some people will view the 200+ download speeds as sufficient, but I am simply curious to find out why my speed is capped. I have seen vidoes and other reviews showing much higher speeds. Any information pertaining to this would be greatly appreciated!

Model: A7000|NIGHTHAWK AC1900 WIFI USB Adapter
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: A7000 Wireless USB Adapter Not getting speeds

Hi Taz1, 

Welcome to NETGEAR Community! 

Try performing the troubleshooting steps here:  https://kb.netgear.com/24903/

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi Taz1, 

Welcome to NETGEAR Community! 

Try performing the troubleshooting steps here:  https://kb.netgear.com/24903/

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 2 of 3
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi Taz1, 

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7