× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

HP PC Win7 - upgradd to Win 10 - WG111v3 adapter

VinnyVG
Aspirant

HP PC Win7 - upgradd to Win 10 - WG111v3 adapter

Its now a few months  since I booted as normal my - then - Win7 HP PC. it went black sreen boot options - restart - needed a few times but eventualoly started  BUT the USB ports all failed.  I basiually gave up and op[ned occasionally to  try whatever help other  offered - which without USB to  get wifi to get downloads..made it all a bit pointless.     I have  just uploaded the free Win 10 offer from MS. To do so I had to  unplug everything and move it to the living room  - where the modem is located. I cannot move it because the landline  connects to the  modem ( Australia??)  and I  dont want wires trailing around the  house!  I  connected an Ethernet cabvle and did the  upgrade - after that was all settled, I tried a few of the suggested fixes - none worked.  

The last  suggestion was to check if Netgear - software and the WG111v3 usb "dongle" were still viable or had updates rendered them un-usable.  

So that is my question to the community... do I need to get  new dongles?     

( In Hope)   If there are any WIndows guru's online.... any clues on the USB failure.   Error 43 (  I think) is a catchall that explains nothing.

Message 1 of 4

Re: HP PC Win7 - upgradd to Win 10 - WG111v3 adapter

That's a pretty old device. Its sofware dates back to the days of Windows ME!

There is a manual and the latest software for the WG111v3 somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>> WG111v3 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<<

You may have a hard time getting it work work in Windows 10.

Message 2 of 4
VinnyVG
Aspirant

Hi,

Thanks  for your advice...

on Win7 untill the crash which led to the USB ports dying ( it may have been the reverse I supose) the wifi was working OK  through the plug in "dongle".   I know these days bascially all PC have a built in wifi modems and maybe these old dongles..like you suggest... are not really suitable for Win10. Which  begs the question,  do NetGear supply anything I can plug into Win10 to get wifi from the main Telstra modem?

Message 3 of 4

@VinnyVG wrote:
I know these days bascially all PC have a built in wifi modems

Only laptops.

do NetGear supply anything I can plug into Win10 to get wifi from the main Telstra modem?

Take your pick from this lot:

WiFi Adapters | USB WiFi | NETGEAR

You'll have a much better chance of getting one of those to work in Windows 10 than your 10 year-old throwback, designed to support "Windows 2000, XP, or Vista". A new device will also let you use 5 GHz wifi, rather than the 2.4 GHz that you get with the WG111v3.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7