× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear Nighthawk A7000 massive ping increase at random

ryuk52109
Initiate

Netgear Nighthawk A7000 massive ping increase at random

Hello, I am having trouble with my Netgear Nighthawk A7000 USB adapter, for some reason, the ping randomly shotos up from 23-25ms to over 2000ms.  I can easily tell when playing games because they lag quite a bit, when I first plug in the USB/turn on my computer it works fine.  I use the latest version of the drivers (checked for updates yesterday) and firmware.  My machine is running Windows 10 and the issue happens regardless of who is connected.  Thanks in advance

P.S. I know it is USB/machine related because the PS4 works just fine constantly.

Model: A7000|NIGHTHAWK AC1900 WIFI USB Adapter
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
evergreentrail
Initiate

Hey everyone, I'm writing this reply because I've fixed the problem and I'm hopeful this will work for you and for anyone that googles the same issue. 

I have an A7000. It worked fine for a week or so and then started having lag spikes every 10-20 seconds. After trying everything and being unable to solve it, I came across something that worked for me: 

I found a reddit post in which a user described the same issue and posted a solution. The summary: you need to disable autoconfiguration logic because our wifi cards are polling for new networks and that's what's causing the spike. Here's a link to the post: https://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffensive/comments/3ahg59/fix_for_wireless_ping_spikes/ and here's the content in its entirety: 

in your windows cmd, type in

netsh wlan show settings

and one of the last things might say

Auto configuration logic is enabled on interface "Wireless Network Connection"

if that's the case, then type in

netsh wlan set autoconfig enabled=no interface="Wireless Network Connection"

It should respond with

Auto configuration has been disabled on interface "Wireless Network Connection".

If it doesn't, then you might have mistyped your interface=" part. Check in your adapter settings, you might have Wireless Network Connection 2 or 3 etc.

This will definitely stop your wireless card from searching for nearby networks and updating your signal quality when you're not asking it to- which is what is causing the spikes.

You will need to turn it back on if you disconnect or need to be able to find nearby networks again. To do so change disabled to enabled from the earlier command or copy pasta

netsh wlan set autoconfig enabled=yes interface="Wireless Network Connection"

Good Luck!

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 11

All Replies
antoniosamuel
Initiate

I am having the same exact issue, whenever I am playing any online game I have insane ping spikes. However I am getting 200mbps down and up which does not make any sense. Were you able to resolve the issue? because I will have to return the AC1900 Adapter if I can't find a fix for this.  

Message 2 of 11
ryuk52109
Initiate

I disabled the "automatically turn off device to save power" option in the device manager's settings, that seems to have fixed it.

Message 3 of 11

I am having the same issue.

It makes the connection completely unusable. Every 3-4 seconds the ping spikes then comes back to normal.

I can see it VERY OBVIOUSLY in the Netgear Genie application as my speed jumps between 585Mbps-780Mbps then randomly spikes down to 54Mbps when the issue occurs.

I initially blamed new router firmware, but I'm starting to believe it is the adapter's problem.

Changing the setting specified above had no effect.

Message 4 of 11
MJBgood
Aspirant

I am having the same issues. It is sad considering that when I plug in a cheaper usb adapter it works perfect yet this more expensive one cannot be relied on. PLEASE someone help!!! Have reinstalled drivers, disabled RunswUSB, turn off option that allows pc to turn off device, and more!

Message 5 of 11
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi All, 

May I please ask for the following information: 

- Computer's operating system

- Does issue happen on both bands?

- Brand and model of the router 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 6 of 11

Windows 7

Only on 5Ghz, though my 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands share the same SSID

Netgear Nighthawk X4S R7800

I feel like this started for me after the release of the latest R7800 Firmware (v1.0.2.52) so I'm starting to think this is more the fault of the router. Other devices seem to be having problems too.

Message 7 of 11
MJBgood
Aspirant

-Windows 10

-Yes, both bands

-Verizon Fios Quantum Gateway router

Most likely due to the wireless adapter, as a different much cheaper adapter works perfectly but at lower potential speeds.

Message 8 of 11
colgor88
Initiate

I am having the exact same issue.I know it isn't a router issue because every other device I have works fine. When I am gaming and I counted the seconds in between and it spiked at a consistent 12-13 seconds. It would move from about 50 ping to about 300 ping and then back to 50. My character would jump a good portion across the map along with all the other players, and this was suprisingly consistent between three different online games I was playing. 

Message 9 of 11
RShank
Initiate

Same exact problem here, just got it this past sunday. A bit disappointed however when running into this issue. I do believe it is the adapter because my previous adapter (Netgear ac1200) works just fine. I have also tried the latest troubleshooting theories to no avail. Please keep this thread going in case there is a fix!! I will not be returning my product in hopes for better drivers to be released.

Windows 10

Message 10 of 11
evergreentrail
Initiate

Hey everyone, I'm writing this reply because I've fixed the problem and I'm hopeful this will work for you and for anyone that googles the same issue. 

I have an A7000. It worked fine for a week or so and then started having lag spikes every 10-20 seconds. After trying everything and being unable to solve it, I came across something that worked for me: 

I found a reddit post in which a user described the same issue and posted a solution. The summary: you need to disable autoconfiguration logic because our wifi cards are polling for new networks and that's what's causing the spike. Here's a link to the post: https://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffensive/comments/3ahg59/fix_for_wireless_ping_spikes/ and here's the content in its entirety: 

in your windows cmd, type in

netsh wlan show settings

and one of the last things might say

Auto configuration logic is enabled on interface "Wireless Network Connection"

if that's the case, then type in

netsh wlan set autoconfig enabled=no interface="Wireless Network Connection"

It should respond with

Auto configuration has been disabled on interface "Wireless Network Connection".

If it doesn't, then you might have mistyped your interface=" part. Check in your adapter settings, you might have Wireless Network Connection 2 or 3 etc.

This will definitely stop your wireless card from searching for nearby networks and updating your signal quality when you're not asking it to- which is what is causing the spikes.

You will need to turn it back on if you disconnect or need to be able to find nearby networks again. To do so change disabled to enabled from the earlier command or copy pasta

netsh wlan set autoconfig enabled=yes interface="Wireless Network Connection"

Good Luck!

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7