Aspirant
Accepted Solution

WNCE2001 power led blinking green and no connection

[ Edited ]

Hello,

I have a WNCE2001 wireless adapter that has worked for couple of months.

Now, the power LED is blinking green instead of being solid... usb powered or AC plugged...

I tried to access to it throught http://www.mywifiext.net but cannot connect.

Factory reset didn't worked.

I tried to push again the firmware using "tftp -i ip@ put firmware_file" following instructions found here : http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/18989/~/router-power-led-blinks-slowly-and-router-no-l...

Anyone got an idea why it is doing that? what could I do to fix it ?

Accepted Solutions
Initiate

Re: WNCE2001 power led blinking green and no connection

I am a Mac user and did not see any reference to how to do the fix discussed by jalloma2.  However, I was able to apply this fix from a Mac.

A couple of observations.

1.  I use a MacBook air without an ethernet port.  I found an older MacBook pro at work that has an ethernet port and used that machine.  You can also purchase a USB to Ethernet adapter at Best Buy, the Apple Store, etc.  - not expensive.

2. The link to the CNET website to download the TFTP Cient has an option to download a Mac version.  You can also get the tFTP client at the Apple App Store. It works!

3. When configuring your Mac, use Network in the System Preferences ("gear wheel") app. Use the same settings for IP address, etc. specified by jalloma2.  NOTE: After setting the IP address manually (and be sure to turn off WiFi on your machine), I tried to ping the WNCE2001 using the Terminal utility and I could not reach the unit; message was "timed out".  IGNORE THIS.

4. In the Address field in the TFTP (Send) client, use 192.168.1.251. Press "File" and navigate to where you have downloaded the Firmware and then Start.  THE WNCE2001 CAN BE FLASHED WITH THE NEW FIRMWARE EVEN IF THE PING COMMAND FAILED!!!!!

5. To test the success, with wifi still off on your computer, go to "mywifiext.net" from your browser.  It will open and check that your firmware is correctly loaded an correct version (V1.0.0.26NA)

Hope that helps all you Mac users out there. Would also like to add my thanks to jalloma2 for a great post.  BTW, I use this unit to connect my solar panels to my wireless network for monitoring purposes.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Aspirant

Nobody has ever experienced that : green power led blinking :confused:

What could I do to "restore" it :confused:
Aspirant

I got the same problem and don't know what to do.
What does that blinking mean?
Thanks
Aspirant

I dont know what that blinking means.

All I could find on the Net was a power LED blinking green on a router and it seems it was a firmware corruption.

No idea what the cause was though. Maybe a power failure or a power peak...

I have contacted netgear support as the unit was still on warranty, they make me reset the device but nothing changed. So they issued a RMA and we will proceed to an exchange of the unit.
Aspirant

This is the conclusion I have come to about the blinking green led via trial and error; poor signal strength.
Aspirant

This is the conclusion I have come to about the blinking green led via trial and error; poor signal strength. I had moved the unit too far and it would not connect and just blink but moving closer achieved a solid wifi led.
Aspirant

I was not talking about the wifi led... but the power one Smiley Wink
Aspirant

The adapter suddenly stopped working. When switched on, performs a sort of quick check and the LED power switch quickly from red to amber to end in green. At this point begins to flash without stopping. The LED is used to power a regular basis if a cable is connected but the adapter is in fact unusable.
I tried to connect to the GUI in several ways but I did not succeed. I tried using direct ip set on the network card, I tried to DHCP, I tried using the link www.mywifiext.net and variations without success.

Is there a way to reflash the device?
Aspirant

Excatly the same problem here. Green blinking power-LED and no way to access the wnce2001 adapter. Has anyone contacted Netgear Support and not exchanged the adapter?

Greets
Aspirant

I have the same problem. Since couple of days ago, it started to connect to network after loads of on/off switching and today I gave up and wanted to reconfigure it again, but to no avail. Have the blinking power led, steady LAN and no W-Lan, ofc. Reset didn't work eather - nothing happens when pressing reset for over 5 seconds.
Please help!
Discussion Stats
Top Contributors