× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Ac1200 lights keep blinking and no internet access

Peachyyyy
Aspirant

Ac1200 lights keep blinking and no internet access

So I just bought the wifi extender to boost my connection to my Xbox across the house.
I got it connected and set up and it told me no internet access.
Okay, I'll just move it closer to the router itself as it had a low connect.
Now it broadcasts for a good 20 seconds without internet access and then it starts blinking and I'm guessing restarts itself.
I've reset it and tried to set everything up again and it still restarts itself and no matter where I move it, it says it has a low connection.
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: Ac1200 lights keep blinking and no internet access

What router are you connecting back to? A extender can only be as good as the router that its connecting to as its relying on its connection. If you have a bad/poor router or the wifi has a lot of intereference, its going to show a poor connection. 

So:

1. router your connecting to?

2. Firmare on the extender?

3. What are the interior walls of you house? This is kind of key as certain materials do great jobs of blocking wifi signals.

4. how big is your home?

5. Did you do the setup via wps or using the smart connect wizard? some device manufacturers wps setup mechanisms don't work that well between different device makers. 

Message 2 of 4
Peachyyyy
Aspirant

The router I'm connecting to is something with Att u-verse.

Firmare on the extender, I haven't looked at.

the interior walls are very thin I don't know exactly.

It's a 3 bedroom home so not huge. Just big enough that the wifi drops to 2 bars on our side of the house.

I did both. Originally just plugged it in and set it up with my phone, wasn't working so I factory reset it and tried wps.
Still didn't work.
I even plugged it in with an Ethernet cable and it told me it had a weak signal.

My confusion is that it does connect but only for a good 2 minutes before it seems to drop the signal and the Netgear logo starts blinking.
Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

@Peachyyyy wrote:
The router I'm connecting to is something with Att u-verse.-----Like I said, this is a key. If its got such a bad signal or is single band with with interference, you can have the best extender and its still going to perform poorly.

Firmare on the extender, I haven't looked at.----another key. firmware half the time gets upgraded for a reason. 

the interior walls are very thin I don't know exactly.----plaster lathe, metal studs, bunch of hvac in walls, foil lined insulation, many materials block signals. Saying its a thin wall doesn't tell us anything. 

It's a 3 bedroom home so not huge. Just big enough that the wifi drops to 2 bars on our side of the house.----3 bedroom house could be many different sizes. How many sq ft is the house?

I did both. Originally just plugged it in and set it up with my phone, wasn't working so I factory reset it and tried wps.
Still didn't work.
I even plugged it in with an Ethernet cable and it told me it had a weak signal.

My confusion is that it does connect but only for a good 2 minutes before it seems to drop the signal and the Netgear logo starts blinking.------tough to tell you without more info. Try switching it to access point mode and hardwiring it into the router. If it works fine, its probably the base router as AP mode doesn't rely on the routers wifi . 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series