× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Access Point

moklemat000
Aspirant

Access Point

I have a TP-Link router, more specifically the Archer C7, and I want to setup the Netgear Access Point so that it can connect to the router wirelessly and be able to plug a machine into the access point in order to get internet to it (The Access point would be in a different room).

I have tried to find the solution to this myself, but cannot. I also want to setup the netgear access point so that it cannot be connected to wirelessly from other devices such as a phone.

Someone said that the Wireless Bridging option would be able to do this, but I don't understand how from the manual. Can someone explain it?

Thanks

Model: WN604|Wireless-N Access Point
Message 1 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Re: Access Point

If you are connecting the machine to the WN604 via ethernet, then I think you'll need to select the "client" mode on the wireless bridging page. You won't need mac address cloning.  Then you'd need to configure the WN604 to connect to the router's wifi. I agree that the manual doesn't say exactly how to do that.

The WN604 is an older (and not very fast) device.  You'd get much better speed with an 802.11ac extender or USB wifi adapter.  The EX6400 has similar radio specs to your router. 

Message 2 of 3
moklemat000
Aspirant

Re: Access Point

Sorry for such a late reply, 

I am using the WN604 because I have it, I'm trying to connect my Swann security cameras to the router through it, instead of running a long cable to the device.

I know that this isn't a very efficient method of doing so, but I had the WN604 on hand, and I'd like to get the Swann DVR connected to the internet so I can access it on my phone.

I have tried using the Client bridge mode, when I set the Wireless access point into Client bridge mode, I get a "MAC Clone" option, should this be enabled and set as the TP-Link's MAC address? 

I have attatched a screenshot of the screen that I am seeing, I have set the security options to the same as the router, and have went into the router's menu and have enabled the WDS Wireless Bridging mode on it, and have selected the Netgear access point for it.

Any help?

Thanks,

Matt

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7