× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Adding WN3000RPv2 to Spectrum Time Warner wireless

GleasonFan
Aspirant

Adding WN3000RPv2 to Spectrum Time Warner wireless

We recently switched from ATT to Sepctrum at work for internet and telephone service. (FYI - We're saving about $60 a month for 10X faster speed.) There is a single dead zone in our lower level with the 2.4Ghz wi-fi. We have a WN3000RPv2 left over from ATT. Would using this device help lessen or overcome the deadzone? The wi-fi modem is located on the main floor and the signal has to go thru the usual 4" concrete floor as well as a couple concrete block walls. Running Cat5/6 would be a royal pain.

Model: WN3000RPv2|N300 WIFI Range Extender
Message 1 of 9
StephenB
Guru

Re: Adding WN3000RPv2 to Spectrum Time Warner wireless

You certainly can use the extender, though you need to place it in a location where it can get a decent signal from the main gateway.

Is the new gateway in the same spot as the older ATT one?  

Message 2 of 9
GleasonFan
Aspirant

Yes it is. The extender previously was located in the utility room, which is surrounded by concrete block walls and steel electric cabinets. I'm planning on putting more in the open.

Message 3 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@GleasonFan wrote:

I'm planning on putting more in the open.

If the extender provided coverage in the dead spot with the old gateway, then it should also do that with the new one.

Placement could be tricky, as you need a spot that allows the extender to reach both areas.  I suggest trying it first in the original location, and confirm that you get the same coverage you had before.  Then see if you can find a better spot. 

"More open" can have disadvantages - someone might remove it (accidentally or intentionally) if it is too accessible.

Message 4 of 9
GleasonFan
Aspirant

We placed the extender under a table that seldom if ever is moved. When I check the signal using my Android phone, the intened network does not appear but the old one is blowing off the scale in signal strenght. Apparently the extender works great but is still named for the previous WiFi and is locked. Mywifiext.net says I'm not connected. Suggestions?

Message 5 of 9
StephenB
Guru

You can try doing a paper-clip reset and setting it up again.  

Alternatively try connecting a laptop or a PC to the extender using ethernet.  That will let you reach mywifiext.net (bypassing the need to connect to wifi).

Message 6 of 9
Seanson
Aspirant

Did you happen to get this figured out? I'm a Spectrum user and ran across your post. I'm having the same issue with a Linksys range extender. Connects fine to the router, produces a wireless network, connect to the network and no available internet. 

Message 7 of 9
GleasonFan
Aspirant

No. Spectrum's advice was to reboot the router which is kind of hard to do since we need the connection 24/7.

Message 8 of 9
Seanson
Aspirant

I'm pretty confident that rebooting the router wont help. I'll try it in a bit though and let you know if it does anything. Thanks for your response!
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7