× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Authentication Problem When Trying To Connect

Authentication Problem When Trying To Connect

I have a Linksys router. Connected WN2000RPT as described in Netgear instructions. Everything went through fine, proper lights, -EXT is displayed on available networks scan, etc. Tried to connect a Vizio Smart TV, Amazon TV Firestick, and Asus tablet. All 3 devices show ...EXT with a strong signal. However, each device will not connect, with an error message of "Authentication Problem" or simply "Cannot Connect."

My router is connected using "WPA2/WPA Mixed Personal" security. When configuring the wifi extender, I told it to use the same SSID and security setting as the router. Did some reading online about available settings on the WN2000 and decided that perhaps the problem was a 'mis-match' in security setting because WN2000 doesn't have the same setting as router available. Did a factory reset on extender and went through procedure again, only did not select use the same security as router, but manually chose WPA/PSK (AES) for extender. Same exact error messages from my devices as before.

I was thinking that perhaps by using the router security settings that it was messing up the extender because they don't have the same available settings. But maybe using different settings (when the extender is receiving the signal from the router, although perhaps on a 'pass-through' basis only?) causes problems as well?

So, can anyone tell me if there's a way to get my devices to connect to the extender, or is this always going to be a problem because the router has one security setting, and if I manually set security OR tell the extended to use same security settings, it won't work because the two units are not compatible? Am I doing something incorrect? Any ideas? Thanks!

Model: WN2000RPTv2|Universal WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello RealisticDave

Have you made the SSID different on the router and not the same as the routers SSID?

DarrenM

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello RealisticDave

Have you made the SSID different on the router and not the same as the routers SSID?

DarrenM

Message 2 of 4

Darren, thanks for the reply. No, I haven't tried using separate SSIDs, didn't think of that.  I'll give it a try sometime soon, and post the results here. Thanks.

Message 3 of 4

Darren, I tried this today. Got a pop-up when configuring the extender that Netgear doesn't recommend this, but I went ahead and did it anyway. (I understand the issue about having the same SSID to have your device follow the strongest signal, but if this is what it takes to have the router and extender play happy, so be it...)  I've got all the devices that I wanted to connect to the extender looking good now, so it should be OK. Thanks again for your reply.

Cheers, Dave

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series