× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Booster vs. Extender in existing network

DaveinHenderson
Aspirant

Booster vs. Extender in existing network

I want to increase the strength of my existing Wi-Fi signal in part of my house (network is Net Gear Nighthawk), but not create separate networks.  I bought an EX6120 Extender and on page 5 of the start-up guide it shows that 2 separate networks are being set up.  Looking up the definition on a router blog says: "booster acquires existing signal and rebroadcasts to create a second network".  and "an extender intercepts the signal, magnifies it, and transmits it".  So what product does what I want?  Does Net Gear offer one?  Obviously the EX6120 is not what I want. Thanks. DaveinHenderson

Message 1 of 5
Molarka
Aspirant

Re: Booster vs. Extender in existing network

@DaveinHenderson wrote:

I want to increase the strength of my existing Wi-Fi signal in part of my house (network is Net Gear Nighthawk), but not create separate networks.  I bought an EX6120 Extender and on page 5 of the start-up guide it shows that 2 separate networks are being set up.  Looking up the definition on a router blog says: "booster acquires existing signal and rebroadcasts to create a second network".  and "an extender intercepts the signal, magnifies it, and transmits it".  So what product does what I want?  Does Net Gear offer one?  Obviously the EX6120 is not what I want. Thanks. DaveinHenderson

A Wi-Fi extender amplifies the existing signal but does not strengthen the signal. On the other hand, a Wi-Fi booster converts your existing coax wiring into a fast, stable network connection and signal strength.

Follow these steps for trying to extend wifi signal but not guranteed that it will work:

• Select a Good Place for Your Router. Not all places are equally suitable for your router.
  • Keep Your Router Updated.
  • Get a Stronger Antenna.
  • Cut Off WiFi Leeches.
  • Buy a WiFi Repeater/ Booster/ Extender.
  • Switch to a Different WiFi Channel.
  • Control Bandwidth-Hungry Applications and Clients.
  • Use the Latest WiFi Technologies.
Message 2 of 5
plemans
Guru

You're wanting a mesh extender. They include smart roaming features so the extender can use the same ssid as the router. If you're needing more than 1, i recommend just getting a full mesh system like Orbi or MK nighthawk but if you're only needing one, then look for the mesh line. 

You were close, the next step up the EX6150 includes mesh features. (and the higher versions as well)

Message 3 of 5
DaveinHenderson
Aspirant

Thanks for the input.  Unfortunately, to use it in the point of access mode requires that I connect it to my router via an ethernet cable (page 15 of the user manual).  I might end up having to string a cable.

Message 4 of 5
plemans
Guru

Your device isn't a mesh extender. 

In access point mode, its smart roaming features are disabled. 

so if you want something with a single ssid solution and smart roaming, you need to upgrade to at least the next step up (ex6150, would recommend v2 if you go that route) or better. 

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7