× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can I extend wifi mesh by conneting a wifi mesh to another one?

bekinde2all
Aspirant

Can I extend wifi mesh by conneting a wifi mesh to another one?

I currently have a AC1900 WiFi Mesh Extender Essentials Edition Model EX6400v3 that is extending my wifi to my basement. The home router is on the top floor, the mesh extender is on the main level, can I add another one to the basement so I can hard wire something to the mesh extender in the basement?

Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: Can I extend wifi mesh by conneting a wifi mesh to another one?

You'd be better to put the router in the middle and an extender up and down. Otherwise the extender in the basement will have much much slower speeds. 

Reason why is that single/dual band extenders drop throughput by 50% minimum. This happens because the extender has to use the same chip to go router---extender and then extender---devices. And it can't do both at once. 

So it takes that 50% speed hit plus whatever its taking from distance/obstructions/interference. 

Add a 2nd one at the end and the speed will halve (plus more) again. Plus latency increases. 

So if you're going that router, put the router on the middle floor. Or switch from using extenders to a full mesh system that is triband. Tribands have a dedicated backhaul just to prevent that droup. 

Message 2 of 6
bekinde2all
Aspirant

I know I would be better to have the router centrally located. I'm asking if it will work. It's for my parents and they live out of state so I can't just easily do the work and test things. I need to to know if I can just order them another one and have them set it up with no issues.

Message 3 of 6

@bekinde2all wrote:

.... can I add another one to the basement so I can hard wire something to the mesh extender in the basement?

Do you really need a mesh extender to get something hard wired on to the network?

As @plemans points out the speed won't be great thanks to the wifi connection.

If it only a wired connection that you need, you could consider Powerline Ethernet.

to use the mains circuit to connect the wired device to the router.

Message 4 of 6
plemans
Guru

If you have to use extenders, pick up a triband extender to put in the middle. 

so you'd go router---->triband extender----->extender. 

the triband extenders don't take the same throughput loss but you will see an increase in latency on the 2nd extender 

Message 5 of 6
bekinde2all
Aspirant

The signal from the "AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Mesh Extender(EX6400v3)" on the floor above is strong down in the basement. The newer tv is connecting with no issues and I have no bw or latence problems. The sonos beam I want to use the ethernet port so it creates it's own WIFI mesh on another channel to the other sonos devices. If you don't use the ethernet port it will use the same wifi channel as the wifi it connects to.

So since the signal is already strong I figured I could just buy another EX6400v3 and run the ethernet cable to the sonos beam. I know powerline is an option, but I don't know if the power outlet is on the same circuit, and I'm out of state to test and troubleshoot. Hoping I can just send an additional (EX6400v3), add it to the mesh and run the short ethernet cable to the sonos beam.

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7