× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can I use an extender to extend an extender?

Ginestre
Follower

Can I use an extender to extend an extender?

The router is on the ground floor, with the name ournetwork. On the first floor, I have a WN2500RP which has the name ournetwork1. It works OK, but not amazingly so. The signal from the router is 47%, and it boosts it. On the second floor, the signal from the router is only 7%. So I wanted to connect the second floor to the first floor extender using another extender (WN2000RPT) with the name ournetwork2, kind of piggy-backing on it. But it doesn't work on wireless. The second floor extender can't get to the internet. Why not?

I can't move the router. What can I do?

Could I connect the second floor extender to the first floor extender via ethernet? And so have wifi on all three floors?

TIA

Message 1 of 2
TheEther
Guru

Re: Can I use an extender to extend an extender?

It's not recommended to wirelessly connect extenders to each other.  Performance will be unsatisfactory because each extender imposes a 50% speed penalty.

You can wire the second floor extender to the first floor extender.  Set up the second floor extender to operate as an Access Point.  Make sure your extender supports Access Point mode.  Not all do.  You can also use a Wi-Fi router as an Access Point.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7