× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can you modify the _EXT name?

lbellkna
Novice

Can you modify the _EXT name?

Good Morning,
I am new to the forums and hope I can word this question in a manner that everyone understands.
I was able to install my WiFi Booster for Mobile WN1000RP with limited problems. I used option 2, using my IPhone.
I now can see two networks one the regular name the other reg name + _EXT
both of which are correct.
The wifi via the original router is in the upper level of my house, (I have a three level split) the booster is in the middle level...all working well.
However two of my wi fi pieces of hardware (e.g. cell phone and tablet) I would like to be able to roam around the house.
I notice for instance that when using my tablet the best service is on the main level as that is where the booster is and it is picking up the _EXT network. But if I take it upstairs of course the signal is not as good because I am nearer the original router.
Is there a way to modify the wireless network name, so that the hardware simply uses one network and draws the strongest signal from where the I am standing? Again I hope I have not made this too complicated.
Thanking you in advance for your assistance. Lydia
Message 1 of 7
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: Can you modify the _EXT name?

You should able to login to extender GUI with browser and change the _ext SSID even of may give you some alert
Message 2 of 7
lbellkna
Novice

Thank you for your assistance, but can you dummy it down a bit for me? I am totally unaware of what you are saying, but need a bit more information and perhaps steps. thanks again....Lydia
Message 3 of 7
lbellkna
Novice

I appreciate your input, but can you please dummy it down a bit? More information and perhaps STEPS on how to? I am a bit of a novice, thanks again, Lydia
Message 4 of 7
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Download manual at support.netgear.com
Message 5 of 7
WizardJ
Luminary

Make sure you are connected to the extender wirelessly, or via cable, and simply visit http://www.mywifiext.com/ alternatively http://www.mywifiext.net/. For all the wireless products you should be able to use "admin" and "password" to login if prompted for credentials. Then go to Setup > Wireless Settings and change the name in "Name (SSID)" and click "Apply". However, I would really advice you to contact NETGEAR for troubleshooting or further guidance. Have a look at Contact Support. 🙂
Message 6 of 7
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Use my.netgear.com portal to contact support

You can download a manual at support.netgear.com. It will shows some of the steps that you need to do
Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7