× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Connecting EX7000 WiFi Range Extender to Router via Ethernet cable: will it “mesh”?

DAG_cali
Aspirant

Connecting EX7000 WiFi Range Extender to Router via Ethernet cable: will it “mesh”?

I’ve read a lot of Community questions and responses, but haven’t seen a clear answer to my question.  If I connect an EX7000 extender to my R6220 router via an Ethernet cable rather than via WiFi, will I be able to get it to work in seamless Mesh mode using a single SSID?  If so, how?

Model: EX7000|AC1900 WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 9
StephenB
Guru

Re: Connecting EX7000 WiFi Range Extender to Router via Ethernet cable: will it “mesh”?

@DAG_cali wrote:

I’ve read a lot of Community questions and responses, but haven’t seen a clear answer to my question.  If I connect an EX7000 extender to my R6220 router via an Ethernet cable rather than via WiFi, will I be able to get it to work in seamless Mesh mode using a single SSID?  If so, how?

You can certainly set up a single SSID.  

I've asked Netgear a couple of times whether 802.11k or 802.11r are supported in AP mode, but so far we haven't gotten an answer.  @DexterJB - could you please provide the answer to that?  

Generally the clients will roam to the strongest signal anyway, but in some cases you might need to toggle wifi off/on in the client to force that.  

Message 2 of 9
mikeullrich
Aspirant

Re: Connecting EX7000 WiFi Range Extender to Router via Ethernet cable: will it “mesh”?

Hi,

Useful thread - are you both able to confirm this to be correct since these messages were posted?

I currently have a NightHawk R8000 which doesn't quite have the range I need and am looking to buy a EX7700 to extend it.   I have installed extensive Cat6 wiring in the house, and to me it makes sense to use fixed wiring for backhaul therefore freeing up one of the 5G bands for additional connections on both the router and extender.   And it feels like it should provide bettter real world perfromance using fixed wiring over the theoretical max speeds of wireless.

In reading the user guide for the EX7700 (http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/EX7700/EX7700_UM_EN.pdf) pg 48 FAQ suggests that AP mode is not the same as extender mode:

Can I set up the extender in extender mode if I connect it to the router or access point with an Ethernet cable?

1. No. The extender is designed to connect wirelessly to the router or access point if it is in extender mode. If the extender is in access point mode, you can connect it to the router or access point with an Ethernet connection. For more information about access point mode, see Use the Extender in Access Point Modeon page 15.

So, just to reiterate the original posters questions; does it support full mesh capabilities when wired? - ie: Smartconnect; Smartroaming as you move about, full use of all 3 bands, etc

Thanks

Mike 

Message 3 of 9
DAG_cali
Aspirant

I haven't determined anything, and haven't even opened the box.  I'm waiting for an answer to whether 802.11k or 802.11r are supported by the EX7000 in AP mode.  If I don't get an affirmative answer soon, I'm just going to return it and go a different way, such as replace my R6220 AC1200 router with an R7450 AC2600.

Message 4 of 9
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi all,

As stated on the release notes linked below, Ethernet backhaul and 802.11k are supported.

Dexter

Community Team

Message 5 of 9
DAG_cali
Aspirant

Message 6 of 9
DAG_cali
Aspirant

OK, I believe these are the release notes.

https://kb.netgear.com/000060211/EX7000-Firmware-Version-1-0-1-78

Message 7 of 9
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Yes. Sorry, I forgot to actually include the link.

Dexter

Community Team

Message 8 of 9
edenyuanyd
Aspirant

回复: Connecting EX7000 WiFi Range Extender to Router via Ethernet cable: will it “mesh”?

Can my EX7000 'Mesh' standalone in AP mode? Ethernet connection to my router (UBNT ER-X). My house also runs 2 EX6150 (no mesh).

Currently all these 3 APs (EX7000 + 2 x EX6150) are in the same SSID (Both 2.4g and 5g), and all of them wire-connect to my router (UBNT ER-X).

I don't even see this 'one WIFI name' option appearing after upgrade to the latest firmware. (AP mode).

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7