× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Connectivity Nighthawk EX 7300

Culvennan12
Aspirant

Connectivity Nighthawk EX 7300

My extender will not accept the network security key when I am attempting to connect my laptop.

When I address the available channels on the drop down menu I see" Netgear 54" and not "Netgear ext" that I would have expected.Previously I installed a Netgear model ex 2700.Could there be conflit at the software level?

Model: AC2400|Nighthawk AC2400 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: Connectivity Nighthawk EX 7300

Newer Netgear devices come with randomly generated default SSIDs - both the default SSID and PSK (wireless/network security key) are printed on the label. Doubt somewhat that there is a space in the default SSID. Before it was e.g. NETGEAR_EXT ... this is what is in the curent extender user manuals, too. You might want to factory reset your extender in case it was connected/linked to another network, and restart the config from scratch.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Newer Netgear devices come with randomly generated default SSIDs - both the default SSID and PSK (wireless/network security key) are printed on the label. Doubt somewhat that there is a space in the default SSID. Before it was e.g. NETGEAR_EXT ... this is what is in the curent extender user manuals, too. You might want to factory reset your extender in case it was connected/linked to another network, and restart the config from scratch.

Message 2 of 6
Culvennan12
Aspirant

Thanks Scumaku,

You will need to treat me as dim.Are you saying that I can enter the PKS printed on the Nighthawk label or that no action is necessary as the extender already recognises my laptop and has chosed to designate the wifi channel as Netgear 54?

Message 3 of 6
schumaku
Guru

If this extender was used before on another network, or you have used the WPS button process to connect extender and router, the extender might have taken over the network name from the router. If this "Netgear 54" does make no sense to you, and it isn't the network name printed on the device label, do a factory reset and don't break your head about it.

Message 4 of 6
Culvennan12
Aspirant

Thanks,sounds like a plan.Not looking forward to a new config.I am a little out of date,I arrived on the scene when BIG Blue built the IBM 1 personal computer,I think I need to update my knowledge a little!

Message 5 of 6
Culvennan12
Aspirant

Hi Dexter

Thanks for your reply it is very useful to have the support of a knowledgeable community.The exercise has thrown up to significant issues.

1) The ISP (Sky) is in breach of contract roviding variable wifi connections to a fibre link of 15 to 20 mps.

2)The Open Reach circuit provider is regarded to be at fault since the router is tested as satisfactory.

3) The drop down channel list ion my Dell 13 laptop  is showing Netgear 54 not Netgear_ext,

the smart setup genie is showing me to be connected  to 2.4Ghz  channel on the router so that is good enough for me.The difference between the academic and the real world when it comes to technology continues to surprise!

@Culvennan12 wrote:

Thanks,sounds like a plan.Not looking forward to a new config.I am a little out of date,I arrived on the scene when BIG Blue built the IBM 1 personal computer,I think I need to update my knowledge a little!

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7