× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Considering the NETGEAR AC750 Wi-Fi Range Extender

erzeek
Follower

Considering the NETGEAR AC750 Wi-Fi Range Extender

Hello there. As the title states, I'm considering on whether or not to buy a Wifi extender. My router and modem are currently located at the back of the house and the front of the house gets little to no wireless signal at all. I'm using an Arris modem provided by Optimum Online and a TP-Link N600 router. My house has ethernet ports in each of the rooms that is hooked up to the router and I was wondering, since the wifi extender has an ethernet port, can I just connect the extender into the wall port and have it act as an access point? Or is that not possible? If not, I can just connect it into an outlet in my living room which is in the middle of the house. Or is there something better to provide a stronger signal to the front of the house? And I can't move my modem from the back of the house since that's where the outside wire comes in from.

Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: Considering the NETGEAR AC750 Wi-Fi Range Extender

Not all extender have an access point mode. but hardwiring them in is the best option as standard single/dual band extender drop throughp 50%. When hardwired, they don't take that speed hit. 

But before buying an extender, I'd consider upgrading your router system to a mesh system. If you have hardwired ethernet connections in the home, you can upgrade to a cheaper dual band mesh system and get the same performance as a triband mesh system. You also then have seamless roaming (same ssid) and you can upgrade to the latest AX technology or even just an older AC mesh system and get a lot better performance than the current N600 your router supports. 

I usually don't recommend not using old equipment but the N600 stuff wasn't very fast or friendly to roaming/wifi performance. A decent AC mesh system or AX mesh would be a significant improvement and a better choice than trying to spend money to get a older N600 system running better. 

You can get a renewed Netgear MK62 system off amazon for pretty darned cheap right now. (do a search on amazon for renewed mk62) Or even other mesh systems. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7