× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Do I need to connect my devices to the the 2GEXT and 5GEXT networks?

jamminB
Follower

Do I need to connect my devices to the the 2GEXT and 5GEXT networks?

Hello,

This might be a stupid question, but wanted to ask. When using the wifi extender, do I need to connect to multiple network names based on where I am in the house?  <explanation below>

So, my original wifi network is called 'mynetwork'.  I have successfully setup my extender, so now in my list of wifi networks I see the following:

1) mynetwork

2) mynetwork_2GEXT

3) mynetwork_5GEXT

Question:

In areas of my home that traditionally received a subpar signal from 'mynetwork', when in those areas, in order to receive the benefits of the extender, do I need to now connect to a different network (e.g. the 2GEXT or 5GEXT)?  OR, can I just keep all my devices connected to 'mynetwork' and the signal should be stronger thru-out my house?

Thanks!

Model: EX7000|AC1900 WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 2
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Do I need to connect my devices to the the 2GEXT and 5GEXT networks?

Hello JamminB

In order to get the best signal you would have to tell each device to connect to the extender when moving through out the house but if you want a network where you can move around and always be connected to the same network you may want to look at our new router called Orbi its basically a router with a satellite unit that you place where you would have a extender and it creates one big network in your home.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7