× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EAX15v2 and DHCP Issues

beek12
Tutor

EAX15v2 and DHCP Issues

Hello,

This discussion was going to be about my EAX15 having "No Internet" but I've since discovered that the issue is related to DHCP. I have a WAX610 operating in bridge mode and I've recently setup an EAX15 extender. Looking at the "IP Address" section of the extender, it was set to "Dynamically get IP Address from Router" which I assumed meant the extender was just acting as a client. All the IP details shown however were incorrect and not consistent with my LAN (no idea where they came from). This explained the connectivity issues, I changed the extender to "Static IP" and manually set the IP details which did fix the connection on my laptop however the phone still didn't function. I changed the extender back to "Dynamic" and it is serving up itself as both the Gateway and DNS to WiFi clients, acting as a DHCP server.

My assumption is that the EAX15 should only act as a DHCP client and all DHCP requests should pass through to my Gateway which is running a DHCP server. Why is my extender serving up dodgy DHCP details?

EAX15 firmware: V1.0.3.34

Settings: One WiFi Name, Smart Connect, Mu-MIMO, WiFi 6, all enabled.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
beek12
Tutor

Re: EAX15v2 and DHCP Issues

Hello to all of you that have been following this thread closely, I've done some snooping and figured out what the issue was. Using Wireshark, I figured out that the EAX15 was sending out DHCP DISCOVER requests and the server was returning DHCP OFFER but the EAX15 wasn't then sending a DHCP REQUEST. Turns out the WAX610 access point by default converts DCHP Offer packets from Broadcast to Unicast, the EAX15 wasn't receiving them and was therefore defaulting to the dodgy IP address. Not sure why but the advertised MAC address of the DISCOVER packet was slightly different than the one printed on the device, not sure if this is by design or not but I guess this is why it couldn't receive the Unicast packet. The fix was to disable "DHCP Offer Broadcast to Unicast" on the WAX610. Two Netgear devices, you'd assume "plug and play" wouldn't you? Guess not!

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
beek12
Tutor

I thought I'd elaborate on my issue a little....

My EAX15 is set to "Dynamically get IP Address From Router", the addresses shown are:

IP Address: 192.168.1.250

IP Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Gateway IP Address: 192.168.1.250

Primary DNS: 0.0.0.0

I only have a single DHCP server on my network at 192.168.0.1 (my router) so I've got no idea where these addresses are coming from as they aren't consistent with my network.

When I connect to the EAX15, the connected device is allocated the following:

IP Address: 192.168.1.138

Gateway: 192.168.1.250

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

DNS 192.168.1.250

This obviously isolates my device from my router and renders the connection useless. 192.168.1.250 is the IP address of the EAX15 so it seems to be acting as a DHCP server and serving itself up as a gateway, I confirmed this with Wireshark. I hope there's someone reading this that can figure out what is going on here, maybe I've just been looking at it too long and it's no longer obvious to me? Why isn't the extender getting a real IP address served to it and why is it then acting as a DHCP server to connected clients?

Thanks.

Message 2 of 3
beek12
Tutor

Hello to all of you that have been following this thread closely, I've done some snooping and figured out what the issue was. Using Wireshark, I figured out that the EAX15 was sending out DHCP DISCOVER requests and the server was returning DHCP OFFER but the EAX15 wasn't then sending a DHCP REQUEST. Turns out the WAX610 access point by default converts DCHP Offer packets from Broadcast to Unicast, the EAX15 wasn't receiving them and was therefore defaulting to the dodgy IP address. Not sure why but the advertised MAC address of the DISCOVER packet was slightly different than the one printed on the device, not sure if this is by design or not but I guess this is why it couldn't receive the Unicast packet. The fix was to disable "DHCP Offer Broadcast to Unicast" on the WAX610. Two Netgear devices, you'd assume "plug and play" wouldn't you? Guess not!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7