× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EAX80 Extender & CAX80 Router switching between networks not working

aalin
Aspirant

EAX80 Extender & CAX80 Router switching between networks not working

I just got the EAX80 extender for our three story home and it totally solved the issue with two dead spots at the front of the house opposite of the router but now I am getting worse wifi in the master bedroom and I don't know why. 

Before the extender I would get 200-300 mbps download in the master bedroom that is on the same floor but opposite side of the house as the router. Now with the extender I get 50-100mbps and sometimes it's so bad I can't even use it. It seems like my phone is still trying to use the extender network even though I thought it would switch to the router once I was in the master bedroom? I see that some of my devices are on the router and some are using the extender based on location, but those devices don't move like me and my phone.

Is there some configuration I am missing? I have 2.4 and 5 set up and smart connect disabled. I tried enabling smart connect on the router but then everything blew up and the extender stopped working since the networks were now one. Is smart connect required for devices to do the handoff between locations? 

Screen Shot 2022-04-11 at 9.58.33 AM.png

Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: EAX80 Extender & CAX80 Router switching between networks not working

Smart connect enables the smart roaming features. Its not that your network extender quit working, if its enabled on the router and extender, that it combines all the networks into one and lets your phone/tablet roaming between the networks based off the devices own roaming protocol. 

So you don't "see" it as a separate network. 

And you'll see lower speeds if you're on the 2.4ghz network. its a much slower network and more sensitive to interference. But it broadcasts much further and through more materials. 

Message 2 of 4
aalin
Aspirant

Ah so I need to enable smart connect on both?

Yesterday I attempted to enable it on the router first, but then when I tried to enable it on the extender the Nighthawk App couldn't connect to the extender anymore and I just had to reboot everything and disable smart connect on the router. What the order of operation to enable smart connect on both? Do I need to reset the extender and set it up as new after enabling it on the router?

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

Enable it on the router. That'll combine the 2.4ghz and the 5ghz for it. 

You might need to re-run setup on the EAX so it knows what ssid to use since the router will have probably changed. 

Try factory resetting the extender (push and hold reset for 7-15 seconds). 

Then during the reinstall, leave "one wifi" and smart connect enabled.

That'll have the most seamless and easier operation. 

You'll just have to keep in mind that the 2.4ghz will be slower because of how 2.4ghz works. 

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7