× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: EAX80 Nighthawk AX8 Reset and Cannot Connect

AMCooper63
Tutor

EAX80 Nighthawk AX8 Reset and Cannot Connect

I needed to reset my EAX80 Nighthawk AX8. I pressed the reset button for 7 seconds and after I let go, the router rebooted. By the fact that my SSIDs were no longer transmitting and a new SSID NETGEAR appeared, I believe it reset fine. Problem is that I cannot connect to it to reconfigure it. 

1. I have attempted to connect to it with my cell phone after disconnecting from my normal WiFi and turning off mobile data. Most of the time the cell phone says Connecting, No Internet, Saved. Once in a while it will remain connected, but my Nighthawk app will not find the router. Most times, the cell phone has disconnected.
  2. I have plugged the the Ethernet cable directly into my PC (Windows 11) and attempted to open the IP of my default gateway 192.168.1.230 but the web browser says no page found.
  3. I have used the AX8 as a hub and attempted to open the web page. No page found.
  4. I have also attempted to use my laptop (Windows 11) and attach to the NETGEAR SSID but still cannot keep a connection and cannot open the IP when it does stay connected. 

Any other ideas?

Message 1 of 9
plemans
Guru

Try the default 192.168.1.250 address. (you put 192.168.1.230)

Or the mywifiext . net address when hardwired in

Message 2 of 9
AMCooper63
Tutor

I've tried that. I believe that I have seen both 230 and 250 as my default gateway. This morning, 250 is coming up. I also tried MyWIFiExt and same result.

IP 250.jpg

Message 3 of 9
plemans
Guru

Try factory resetting it again. Push and hold reset for 7-15 seconds. 

then when you're connecting to it, try multiple browsers. I've seen one work during setup while a different wouldn't

Message 4 of 9
AMCooper63
Tutor

I held the reset for 30 seconds. As soon as released, the router reboots. I tried Chrome, Edge, and Firefox. Interesting thing I noted this time is that the WiFi connection is not getting DHCP. You can see from IPConfig that the WiFi connection is using a private 169.254.125.80 IP. 

AMCooper63_0-1667860034457.png

Message 5 of 9
plemans
Guru

use the mywifiext . net 

(can't put the whole thing in there)

Message 6 of 9
AMCooper63
Tutor

Thanks for all your help. I gave up and put the thing in the recycle bin. New one should be arriving today.
Message 7 of 9
AMCooper63
Tutor

Just to close the loop, my new Nighthawk RAX200 just arrived and it worked as expected. Something must have died in the old router. I use the routers in AP mode and for a long time I could not access the setup pages in the old router once it was placed in AP mode. This new Nighthawk RAX200 still works fine in AP mode and I can still access the setup pages.

Thanks for everyone's attempt at helping out. 

Message 8 of 9
MSFFAM
Tutor

I had the same experience with the AX8.

I wanted to reset it, and after resetting it, i was unable to reach the web ui to reconfigure the router.

I tried using telnet to see if I can reach port 80/443 on the AX8 after the reset, and I was unable to connect to the HTTP/HTTPS ports on the AX8.

In the end , i came to believe that i will not be able to use the AX8 anymore since the AX8 web server is not running, thus, i am unable to connect to re-configure the router.

I also have an RAX80 and RAX120 devices, so i am familiar with netgear/nighthawk products. 

I was surprised to realize that the web server was not starting up after the AX8 reset.. i do not know why. 

Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7