× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EX2700 - Really slow speeds

anmcg1
Aspirant

EX2700 - Really slow speeds

Hi all,

Wondering if someone could help me with an issue I have with my NETGEAR EX2700.

When I am connected to my main router (located in the living room), I am getting download speeds in excess of 220Mbps. Whereas, when connected to my extender (kitchen) the max speed I get is 20Mbps. Now I understand there will be some sort of reduction of speeds but surely not 10%, I was expecting maybe 100Mbps.

When checking the connection, all is okay and signal strength says up to 130Mbps. Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks in advance

Model: EX2700|N300 WiFi Range Extender Essentials Edition
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: EX2700 - Really slow speeds

the link speed isn't the same as throughput speed. 5ghz signals usually see around roughly 55% reduction in speed in comparison to its link speed. 2.4ghz is even worse than this because of network congestion, different signals, and interference.

Plus extenders by the very nature of how they work, reduce throughput by roughly 50% and increase latency. That's because they have the recieve and then retransmit on the same radio chip. And they can't transmit while recieving. (tribands help reduce this a lot).

20mbps is actually what can usually be expected from 2.4ghz N300 extenders running in extender mode. 

I would refer you to smallnetbuilders N300 extender reviews/rankings. The average throughput is right around the 20mbps. 

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/rankers/wireless-extender/ranking/N300/rev1/238

If you want faster speeds from an extender, I'd refer you either to a dual band or for the best speeds, a triband extender. 

Message 2 of 4
anmcg1
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply. Could you possibly recommend a particular dual or tri band extender and if so, what speeds would I expect to see on these?
Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

I would shoot for a tri-band. I've got an EX8000 and it works great. again, you still take a little speed hit because you're still having to go through another device but its greatly mitigated using tri-band fastlane. 

that'd be the EX7300, EX7700, EX8000. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7