× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EX2700 and WN3000RPv3 Annoying WiFi Coverage / Transmit Power Control Bug

Bartosz
Follower

EX2700 and WN3000RPv3 Annoying WiFi Coverage / Transmit Power Control Bug

• Hardware Version: EX2700  Firmware Version: V1.0.1.52 (latest)
  • Hardware Version: WN3000RPv3 Firmware Version: V1.0.2.74 (latest)
    Hi, first post here, I want to report an annoying bug I discovered while setting up a new router Asus DSL-AC68U with the 2 Netgear extenders I have. Basically, when you select "Do More" then "WiFi Coverage", throttle down the coverage/transmit power to e.g. 50% and press "save", it works fine but only until main router WiFi network is interrupted.  As soon as you e.g.restart the main router, the WiFi Coverage option still shows the throttled down level, but the actual level of extender signal seen by the router goes back to 100% and stays there until you again enter extender's WiFi Coverage menu, and press "save" again. Not sure how many more extenders are affected, but the 2 I have show consistently the same behaviour.

So in short, to reproduce this: set extender's WiFi coverage to 100% and press save, read out Rx level on main router (normal) ,  throttle down extender's WiFi coverage to 25% and press save, read out Rx level on the main router (reduced), restart the main router or just shutdown main router's wifi for a moment, read out Rx level again on main router again (back to normal, despite extender's WiFi coverage option still saying 25%).

Probably someone thought it was a useful feature to reduce customer complaints resulting from misconfigured WiFi coverage, but it is really annoying to have to reset 2 extenders every time the main router WiFi goes down for whatever reason.

Do you know how to fix this? What's the best way to report this so that it gets fixed in firmware  (is this post enough)?

Model: EX2700|N300 WiFi Range Extender,WN3000RPv3|N300 WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 2
schumaku
Guru

Re: EX2700 and WN3000RPv3 Annoying WiFi Coverage / Transmit Power Control Bug

Most users operate things on the max they can get out one might guess here.

The EX3700 (V1.0.0.76_1.0.49) does the same, putting down the power to 25% does lower the "measured" WiFi Analyzer numbers by some 12..15 dB. Removing the root wireless, and bring it up again does make the EX3700 to show up on the full power levels again, despite the config is still set to 25%. Just a [Save] on the already configured 25% does re-apply the lower power again.

Reads like a bug @ChristineT @Christian_R...

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7