× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EX2700- extender Issues

Joe3445
Tutor

EX2700- extender Issues

I have a new Netgear modem and router so we could ditch our ISP’s rental. I was also hoping it would improve our WiFi signal in our bedroom about 70ft away from the router and our downstairs office which is directly situated below our bedroom. Modem is Netgear CM500 and Router is AC 1750.

Extender is delivering very slow download speeds even if I have it close to the router. Is the issue because the router is 5.0 and 2.4 and this extender is only 2.4? Do I need a new extender or am I doing something else wrong? Thank you from a novice.
Model: EX2700|N300 WiFi Range Extender Essentials Edition
Message 1 of 20
plemans
Guru

Re: EX2700- extender Issues

A couple things.

1. AC 1750 is a speed and not a model.

2. You're right in that the EX2700 is a single band device. Its also the most back wireless extender netgear has. 

3. something to keep in mind with how extenders work that people don't usually understand. They have to receive and rebroadcast using the same chip. And they can't do both at once. So your throughput (speed) is cut in half if not more. And it increases latency.

4. They have to work off a good signal. They can't pickup a bad signal and have it be better just because its there. So take the fastest speed you can get on your 2.4ghz signal where the extender is going to be and cut that speed in roughly half. If you place it in an area with bad coverage, its going to have even worse speeds. 

5. 2.4ghz is significantly slower than 5ghz and its more sensitive to interference. For instance, my orbi setup averages around 30-40mbps on 2.4ghz. 5ghz is around 500mbps. 

6. this is speed hit is mitigated a bit with tri-band extends as they reserve a wireless radio just for router----extender communication. but they are more expensive and still take a little speed/latency hit. not nearly as much though. 

7. there's ways to optimize extenders. Things like placement. Sometimes things in the walls block signals and a simple move a couple feet can make a big difference. Or changing wifi channels if you're on one with interference. 

So there's a lot to take into account with extenders. they're great at getting signals further away from the router but at the cost of speed and latency. 

Message 2 of 20
Joe3445
Tutor

Thanks for your reply. Some comments from yours.

2. Did you mean “basic” extender not “back”?

Am I better at off buying a new extender with 5ghz capabilities? I’ve moved the extender throughout the house and even ten feet away from the router I’m getting weak signals. For reference the things I need WiFi extended for for is a fire stick in the bedroom (70ft. Away) a WiFi printer and VPN connecting laptop downstairs (70 ft away as well but downstairs directly below the bedroom).

Thanks for your help.
Message 3 of 20
plemans
Guru

Yes, basic.

What are the interior walls of your home? 

certain materials block wifi extremely well and extenders aren't always the best option. these include: plaster lathe, adobe, brick, concrete, metal studs/metal

What speeds were you getting? 

What speeds can you get from the primary router around the home? 

Message 4 of 20
Joe3445
Tutor

It’s mostly drywall and wooden frames for the interior.

I’m getting over 200mbps by the router. The extender best case gets ten if I have it relatively close to the router and 5-6 if it’s downstairs.
Message 5 of 20
plemans
Guru

what do you get over 2.4ghz from the router? 
I highly doubt you're pulling 200mbps from 5ghz

Message 6 of 20
Joe3445
Tutor

15-25mbps when I’m on 2.4

When I have 5g on I got 200+mbps by the router. I live in Philadelphia and we have Comcast so we do have 5g here.
Message 7 of 20
plemans
Guru

@Joe3445 wrote:
15-25mbps when I’m on 2.4

When I have 5g on I got 200+mbps by the router. I live in Philadelphia and we have Comcast so we do have 5g here.

you're getting 15-25 directly from the router. Then the ex2700 rough throughput would be 7-13mbps roughly. 

5g for routers isn't the same as 5g for cellular service. 

Message 8 of 20
Joe3445
Tutor

So then two questions

Should I use 2.4 or 5ghz based on what I gave you and the needs (8 devices no gaming just streaming and internet)?

And if I should use 5ghz then I must need a new extender since ex2700 doesn’t support 5ghz?

Thank you.
Message 9 of 20
plemans
Guru

how many sq ft is your home? 1 level, 2, 3, etc

this matter because if you're needing more than 1 extender, its better to move to mesh system like orbi. 

but if your house is sized right for just a single extender and router, I'd recommend any of the tri-band extenders. 

Message 10 of 20
Joe3445
Tutor

About 2000 sq ft. Two floors a first floor and a basement. Basement has the worst connection. Also I attached the 5g screenshot showing 200+ download
Message 11 of 20
plemans
Guru

A single decent router would probably cover the whole area if its centrally located. 

Routers are omnidirectional meaning they broadcast in all directions. If its located on one side of the home, half the signal is lost. 

Have you tried make sure the router is located in the middle of the home? 

Message 12 of 20
Joe3445
Tutor

Right now it is not centrally locates because it is Ethernet connected to the modem. Can I disconnect that?

I can try to move it but there isn’t an ideal central location to move it to which is why I was going with the extender. My router is a TP LINK AC 1750
Message 13 of 20
plemans
Guru

You can always try a extender. I'm a fan of the tri-band mesh extenders if people are needing an extender as they have much better performance and capabilities. 

Message 14 of 20
Joe3445
Tutor

You recommend mesh extenders over powerline? The mesh ones all seem to be $150-200 that’s more than my modem and router!
Message 15 of 20
plemans
Guru

powerline are hit or miss. some homes run great on powerline, others have issues because so many things interfere with powerline. 

things you can try

1. powerline

2. moca adapters

3. extenders

And you don't have to go with a triband. You can use a regular extender but just keep in mind the speed hit you take unless its hardwired in running in AP mode. 

Message 16 of 20
Joe3445
Tutor

Most importantly I just want the WiFi extended to our home office.

We have internet downloads up to 300mbps with our internet plan. I’ve already referenced the CM500 modem and the TP Link AC 1750. We have 5ghz and 2.4ghz available. In lieu of moving the router, with a 2300 sq ft apartment with wood cement and drywall interior, what do you think would be best suited to give us better WiFi signals in our bedroom 70ft away and basement (below our bedroom) office?

I’ll buy triband or whatever is needed to solve the problem just didn’t know this would be so much trial and error! Thanks again for all your help I learned a lot.
Message 17 of 20
plemans
Guru

@Joe3445 wrote:
Most importantly I just want the WiFi extended to our home office.

We have internet downloads up to 300mbps with our internet plan. I’ve already referenced the CM500 modem and the TP Link AC 1750. We have 5ghz and 2.4ghz available. In lieu of moving the router, with a 2300 sq ft apartment with wood cement and drywall interior, what do you think would be best suited to give us better WiFi signals in our bedroom 70ft away and basement (below our bedroom) office?

I’ll buy triband or whatever is needed to solve the problem just didn’t know this would be so much trial and error! Thanks again for all your help I learned a lot.

Again, I can't say 100% what will work best for you. I'm not in your location. 

Certain devices will work better or not based on the home. 

Powerline works great but isn't suitable for all homes. 

Moca adapters (ethernet over coax) work great but if you don't have coax in each room

Extenders can work great but can have issues depending on housing materials.

I'd advise trying a tri-band extender. If it doesn't work well, return it and try powerline. 

Message 18 of 20
Joe3445
Tutor

Totally understand I just appreciate your direction. Also, I chatted with TP and they said I needed the RE650 Dual Band extender (or 450)

I’m assuming that’s different than a tri band or a powerline adapter. I don’t really know the difference of any of the three but do you have any comments on their recommendation?
Message 19 of 20
plemans
Guru

problem with dual band extender is that is till works the same as single band. It has to recieve and then retransmit. Its still going to take a speed hit. But because its initial speed is higher, the hit it takes still leaves it more usable. But it still takes the same latency hit. 

for example:

if 2.4ghz speed from router is 40mbps then the extender is going to be roughly 20mbps. 

if the 5ghz speed is 200mbps then the extender is going to be roughly 100mbps. 

But again, they'll both take a latency hit. 

a triband if you're starting at 200mbps, you're going to get probably 180mbps. 

but its also going to allow the 2.4ghz to operate at the 40mbps because its getting full speed from its 5ghz signal. 

so its a toss up. Try the dual band. if it doesn't server your purpose, then try the triband or one of the other options I've listed. 

Message 20 of 20
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7